Impulse buy: Martin Style 3 Centennial Soprano

Ukujiji

Reaction score
Hello UU friends, I got my first Soprano ever today, it is a Martin Style 3 Centennial.

I first tried this ukulele back in September at a local music store, I didn't know what brand was it back then. When I strum it the first time, I was blown away by its volume and tone. Here's is a video I recorded playing it for the first time, you can hear the volume is so loud.
https://youtu.be/qfWE_MTfugM
I looked at the price, a sweat dripped down my forehead, I put it back.

Now fast forward to last night, I dreamed about this ukulele;). I couldn't fall back to sleep, I got up and did some research. When I saw a hundred years old martin soprano still sounds and looks amazing, I decide to get it!

I haven't put it down since this morning, it sounds just so beautiful.
I mainly play Tenor fingerstyle, I don't really know what kind of music is best on a soprano. Would you guys please recommend me some artists and video to show me what a soprano can do? Thanks.

Pictures:
martin 1.jpg
m2.jpg
m3.jpg
m4.jpg
m5.jpg

Update: sound sample
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4JE0eJFe3T/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

Last edited:
Hello UU friends, I got my first Soprano ever today, it is a Martin Style 3 Centennial.

I first tried this ukulele back in September at a local music store, I didn't know what brand was it back then. When I strum it the first time, I was blown away by its volume and tone. Here's is a video I recorded playing it for the first time, you can hear the volume is so loud.
https://youtu.be/qfWE_MTfugM
I looked at the price, a sweat dripped down my forehead, I put it back.

Now fast forward to last night, I dreamed about this ukulele;). I couldn't fall back to sleep, I got up and did some research. When I saw a hundred years old martin soprano still sounds and looks amazing, I decide to get it!

I haven't put it down since this morning, it sounds just so beautiful.
I mainly play Tenor fingerstyle, I don't really know what kind of music is best on a soprano. Would you guys please recommend me some artists and video to show me what a soprano can do? Thanks.

Pictures:
View attachment 122104
View attachment 122105
View attachment 122106
View attachment 122107
View attachment 122108
Congratulations!! Yup both the style 3 and style 1 centennials sound amazing and worth the price!
there is also a thread here people are listing the serial numbers they own.

Your uke family looks great and that Martin sounds fantastic. Enjoy :)

Congratulations on your new ukulele.
Check out John King on YouTube. He played soprano, and proved that it can do anything a bigger ukulele could do.

Congratulations Ukujiji! Your Style 3 Centennial looks and sounds wonderful!

Your Kanile'a tenor also looks amazing. Love the scoop.

Enjoy them.

Congrats! and thanks for sharing...

For some great soprano players, you might want to check out videos on YouTube of:

- Samantha Muir
- John King
- Roy Smeck

Thank you guys so much, now I got so many soprano songs to catch up! Discovering Soprano its like the first time I discovered Ukulele. It is so much fun, I played it for 6 hours today, can not put it down. Since it has 17 frets, I could basically play anything. I could play stuff like "while my guitar gently weeps" on this little beast, it is not only fun for me, it actually sounded so damn good!! For some parts I think it sounds better on this Soprano than on my ktm00. Each note is solid, punchy, clear.

This little guy might be my favorite ukulele so far. It just constantly wows me each time I play it.

Thank you guys so much, now I got so many soprano songs to catch up! Discovering Soprano its like the first time I discovered Ukulele. It is so much fun, I played it for 6 hours today, can not put it down. Since it has 17 frets, I could basically play anything. I could play stuff like "while my guitar gently weeps" on this little beast, it is not only fun for me, it actually sounded so damn good!! For some parts I think it sounds better on this Soprano than on my ktm00. Each note is solid, punchy, clear.

This little guy might be my favorite ukulele so far. It just constantly wows me each time I play it.
Talking about good soprano ukes
Check out this uke by Beau Hannam

and Ken Timms

Well, colour me green with jealousy. When I was looking for my first proper soprano uke, I found a shop that still had Martin Style 1 Centennials (they still do actually) but there was no way to find Style 3 Centennials anywhere. Granted, I probably wouldn't have bought such an expensive uke then but today I actually might. Even with my UAS curbed because of my Kiwaya KTS-7, I'm still determined to getting a Martin Style 2 or better one day, vintage or not.

Nice playing btw. I'm sure the Style 3 will suit you well. A couple of people have already mentioned Roy Smeck and George Elmes, of which the latter basically emulates the style of the former. These have become my absolute favourite soprano players, and I highly recommend to check them out.

Well, colour me green with jealousy. When I was looking for my first proper soprano uke, I found a shop that still had Martin Style 1 Centennials (they still do actually) but there was no way to find Style 3 Centennials anywhere. Granted, I probably wouldn't have bought such an expensive uke then but today I actually might. Even with my UAS curbed because of my Kiwaya KTS-7, I'm still determined to getting a Martin Style 2 or better one day, vintage or not.

Nice playing btw. I'm sure the Style 3 will suit you well. A couple of people have already mentioned Roy Smeck and George Elmes, of which the latter basically emulates the style of the former. These have become my absolute favourite soprano players, and I highly recommend to check them out.
You should mention the shop, I know a few folks here who were looking.
Also, reverb has style 3

Last edited:
Well, the shop is Finnish and situated in Helsinki, where I live. The shop is called Kitarapaja which I suppose translates to Guitar Shop. Despite the archaic looking website, the shop itself is probably the best around here for buying guitar instruments. They still have two Style 1 Centennials available. I tried to check if they ship abroad but I honestly couldn't find any info on that. I'd guess you can order within Europe or at least the EU but no idea if they'll ship to the US. Worth a try, I suppose.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but since I was asked... :)

Congrats!
Both of your ukes are beautiful!

Top Bottom