Ukulele and Deer

Jerryc41

Reaction score
A woman in our uke group drove two of us to a jam session last night. On the way home, a deer ran right out in front of her car. None of us were injured, but the car was messed up - although still driveable. We pulled over and waited for the police to arrive, and a tow truck took her car away. She got a parking ticket at a session a couple of months ago (but no fine), so this will end her uke trips across the Hudson River.

I was on my way home after an open-mic night a dozen or so years ago. I hit two deer who were standing just over the crest of a rise on the interstate highway. Messed up my car bad. I didn't stop to check on the deer. Called the cops from home 15 minutes later. I was so upset that I left my nice guitar in my parked car.

Overnight, someone broke in and stole that guitar. To fill the empty stand, a week later I bought my first ukulele.
Oh, deer. Bucking the trend, sometimes they doe lead to more ukulele playing.

We have a lot of them around here. I frequently have to stop and let them cross our driveway to run up into the woods on the hill behind out house.

Last year one came bounding out of a nearby cornfield and ran right into the side of my wife's SUV. Dented the front door, back door, and rear quarter panel and fender. It ran off, but no assurance it didn't die later. We looked for it, but no luck.

Took it to the bodyshop and the estimator knew exactly what happened before I said anything. With a follow up: "Those bucks get kinda crazy this time of year. Good thing it didn't knock the vehicle into the ditch!" :p

Glad everyone was okay Jerry. Around here, the cops won't even respond unless there was an injury or an injured deer that needs to be put out of it's misery.

I was on my way home after an open-mic night a dozen or so years ago. I hit two deer who were standing just over the crest of a rise on the interstate highway. Messed up my car bad. I didn't stop to check on the deer. Called the cops from home 15 minutes later. I was so upset that I left my nice guitar in my parked car.

Overnight, someone broke in and stole that guitar. To fill the empty stand, a week later I bought my first ukulele.
Oh, deer. Bucking the trend, sometimes they doe lead to more ukulele playing.

Man, that really is adding insult to injury... Kinda like that last part of your post. :)

Sorry that happened to you. But glad you found the ukulele.

Around here, the cops won't even respond unless there was an injury or an injured deer that needs to be put out of it's misery.

Funny, but when the driver called 911, the operator said she'd need an accident report to collect on the insurance.

At about 11:30AM, in the day, today I had to stop suddenly for a family of 8 emus crossing the road just a few km south of where I live. The juveniles were almost fully grown. I have hit an emu before, they are big heavy birds and make a big dent in the car and it is terrible if they do not die immediately. Most people do not carry anything that can be used to kill an injured animal, using a big rock attracts unwanted attention and photos and may lead to legal action. Seeing wild life on the road in the middle of the day is a rarity and a big surprise when you are doing 100kmh, but I saw them soon enough to be able to safely stop and not get run into by another car.
However, the fact that we are seeing the animals is a good sign that they are still alive and well in numbers and are not going extinct.
Many Australian drivers will not drive on rural roads at night to avoid hitting the wildlife. If they have to drive, most slow down and exercise a lot of care. But trucks and stupid drivers are killing the wildlife all the time.

If only governments could build underground passages for animals to use to cross roads. Of course, they would have to discuss the locations with the various animal groups first. :)

Around here, we have to watch out for families of turkeys crossing the road - much smaller than emus, though.

I live along a creek bottom and we have so many turkeys around that there are Turkey Crossing signs all along the boulevards. We see as many as 14-16 out on the ball field behind my house. During mating season the gobblers strut around all fluffed up. They are kind of cute but very stupid.

Two words: Canadian geese.

My brother in Kansas hit a deer and it totaled his truck. You all are very fortunate to be OK. I have had a few close calls. I have heard that deer kill more people than any other animal in the US.

Top Bottom