Are these tenor or baritone ukuleles?

Hanzalot

Reaction score
Hi

Sorry for the repost, but I found much better images. Can you guys tell if Gregory Alan Isakov is playing a baritone or tenor uke in these two photos?

In the second you can see that the top string is thick so at least it much be linear tuning and I think that the body shape looks most like a baritone, but am not certain. In the first, I can't really see if the first string is thick but it looks like it.

https://arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-bostonglobe.s3.amazonaws.com/public/TYRAUWHCFAI6JCFD4NVPJFXNSM.jpg

https://images1.westword.com/imager/u/original/8258156/manzanitaphoto30813.jpg

Thanks,
Hans

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the first, due to the angle. The second pic definitely looks like a baritone.

Agree on the first one, it's hard to tell. On the second, I would have guessed tenor. It looks like it has a built-in pickup, and I didn't think Kala offered that model in a baritone with a built-in pickup. They have tenors and concerts with the pickup, though. Of course I could be wrong, and Kala has a zillion-and-a-half models and I probably don't know lots of them, but based on the pic and the pickup I'd have gone with tenor.

The second photo does look like a tenor. However the difference between the two sized ukulele can be blurred. A tenor has a scale length of 17" but long neck tenors exist with a scale length of say 19". Baritones have a scale length of 19" or 20." The body size for the tenor is typically smaller but with ukuleles things be fairly flexible. And while baritones are typically tuned d g b e, some are tuned g c e a. Is there a reason for your query? I'm guessing you enjoyed the tone of the instrument. Of course tunings and strings can be changed to create a different tone

Kala does make baritones. Depending on the size of the person playing, it may be a baritone or a tenor. I thought it was a bari. But maybe that is the power of suggestion.

Kala does make baritones. Depending on the size of the person playing, it may be a baritone or a tenor. I thought it was a bari. But maybe that is the power of suggestion.

Yes indeed, Kala does make baritones -- I've got one. But I don't believe they make a baritone with a built-in pickup, in that product line.

Just my guess, but the first shot, the waist of the uke is sitting on his thigh, the second one has the lower bout hovering above his thigh. Just scaling them (fortunately to the same player) I'd guess bari and tenor, respectively.

...caveat: wouldn't be the first time I've guessed wrong.

Guessing - but first photo almost certainly a baritone.

Second one I'd say greater than 50% chance that it is NOT a baritone.

Just my guess, but the first shot, the waist of the uke is sitting on his thigh, the second one has the lower bout hovering above his thigh. Just scaling them (fortunately to the same player) I'd guess bari and tenor, respectively.

...caveat: wouldn't be the first time I've guessed wrong.

Oh wait, keeping the above reasoning, but I got the order of the photos reversed. Oops! Tenor and then bari.

Top Bottom