Anybody recording Audio with DSLR?

UkingViking

Reaction score
Hi,

Just courious to hear if anyone uses this, before I go looking for cables etc.

So, if you have a camera with a minijack (3.5 mm jack) input for an external mix, and you have your USB mic or USB interface with whatever mic you use, you can direct the output from the headphone socket of the device to the camera using a minijack-minijack cable.

If you want to process your audio, or want to listen to it while playing, using the headphone output, this is naturally not an option.
But for simple live recordings, with video of you playing, it sounds tempting. That way you will not have to sync audio and video afterwards.

But will it give good results?

Probably varies with the DSLR model but most DSLR audio is poor even with with use of an external mic (static noise and clips easily). I shoot video with Canon DSLRs but use two Neumann KM-184 jacked into a Tascam DR-60 for audio. Yes, I have to sync during post processing but no biggie. Plus, it's much easier to edit outboard audio in a DAW. Some guys "double record" by running an output from the outboard audio recorder into the camera for high quality guide tracks (and possible causal use).

When I started to post videos for the Seasons, I used a 'hybrid', it worked quite well enough, copied it to laptop to post via Youtube.

Then I tried the built in webcam of my laptop, the mic was quite useless, so I bought & used a USB mic with it, to record to disk.

Since then, I just record sound, & add pictures to make videos.

I have been making videos using a DSLR for years and editing on a PC for over 25 years. I have used a Canon 7D with a mike attached but now use a Panasonic Lumix (it is far lighter to carry around) to which I attach my Rode Video Mike Pro which has a windgag attached.

The Rode mike is pretty directional in its sound gathering capabilities which helps considerably.

For multi camera shoots I start up the cameras and clap hands, the mikes pick this up and it is easy to sync in edit using the clap for reference.

A Zoom portable recorder is also useful for serious recording as its performance is superior to what is inbuilt in a DSLR but with syncing to the clap using an audio file from the Zoom (other recorders are available) editing is a breeze.

Panasonic also have a WiFi app that lets you remotely access the camera and control it if desired but it also gives you the ability to monitor the sound that is being recorded by the mike attached to the DSLR.

Hope this helps.

BTW
If anyone wants Video Editing software check out Black Magic Design who are industry leaders in video processing and especially colour management, the have editing software called Da Vinci Resolve which imho is better than Adobe Premiere and Apple’s Final Cut Pro X and best of all its FREE, and with it you can edit HD or in my case 4k and output the finished movie to popular online sources or to a top quality HD video file for playback on a PC or your TV. The paid for version gives Pro quality video handling and Broadcast quality outputs, sorry if this seems a pro mo but for free it simply cannot be beaten.

Thanks for the replies.

@gochugogi
Good to know. I dont need the highest quality for youtube, but I think clipping sounds bad.

@CroakyKeith
I sometimes skip video and use this method, when I dont have the time to rig up a camera.

@Col50

Impressive setup!
Is this for music recording, or more advanced filming projects?
My projects is mostly your common no editing watch-me-play-ukulele youtube videos. I was wondering if there was a noticably quality difference between recording through PC or camera.

Davinci Resolve sounds cool, might consider it when I lose movie maker.

Last edited:
Probably varies with the DSLR model but most DSLR audio is poor even with with use of an external mic (static noise and clips easily). I shoot video with Canon DSLRs but use two Neumann KM-184 jacked into a Tascam DR-60 for audio. Yes, I have to sync during post processing but no biggie. Plus, it's much easier to edit outboard audio in a DAW. Some guys "double record" by running an output from the outboard audio recorder into the camera for high quality guide tracks (and possible causal use).

I don’t understand the technology at all, I want to ask you, I recently bought a car, but I can’t find a portable and high-quality dvd player in it, I read a couple of reviews, but maybe you know good brands?

Top Bottom