Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beware of scammers!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtoolie View Post
    But with the uke gig scam, how do they get your money?
    I'm sure at some point there would be a request to put up money for some related purpose. These scammers are good at coming up with stories that sound believable, at least by those who aren't naturally skeptical.
    Larry

• ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR"
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR (LOW "G")
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)
    • VTAB TS2401 SPRUCE/MAHOGANY CONCERT

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtoolie View Post
    But with the uke gig scam, how do they get your money?
    My guess would be that they offer to make an electronic deposit on your gig fee but will need your bank account information to make the transfer. Once they have your bank information, they hack your bank account and clean out whatever you have in it.

I wonder why and how they target ukulele players? It can't be random, I mean you don't just blanket the populous in the hopes of landing on a ukulele player who actually does gigs. They have to be getting names and numbers somewhere. Now I'm getting paranoid about who is selling our info to ukulele scammers. Anyway, did she call you or email you, how did she contact you? What tipped you off that it wasn't legit?
    Last edited by Rllink; 11-06-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I wonder why and how they target ukulele players? It can't be random, I mean you don't just blanket the populous in the hopes of landing on a ukulele player who actually does gigs. They have to be getting names and numbers somewhere. Now I'm getting paranoid about who is selling our info to ukulele scammers. Anyway, did she call you or email you, how did she contact you? What tipped you off that it wasn't legit?
    A lot of ukulele groups, like the one I belong to, have a presence on the internet (our group is on meetup.com) that identifies them as ukulele groups. Maybe that's how scammers find ukulele players.

I'm convinced that the agencies that are responsible for music performance licenses (for example, BMI and ASCAP) scour the internet looking for groups that play music and meet in public places. When our group started using meetup, the cafe we were meeting was visited by representatives of BMI and ASCAP demanding to see the cafe's performance licenses and threatening legal action if the cafe owner continued to permit the playing of music in the cafe without a performance license. It may not be that difficult for someone looking to scam ukulele players (or musicians generally) to join a meetup group, hack contact information, and then contact the people whose information they've taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I've been contacted by strangers numerous times to play, but they've all been legit, up till now. This one emailed me.
    The 1st tip off was that she had no favorite songs to request. No woman would say that.
    The final tip off was her asking for my banking info....at that point I was tempted to write back F--- you!
    But I didn't. I told her I'd take a check on the day of the wedding. Never heard from her again.
    Not even sure it was a woman!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I've been contacted by strangers numerous times to play, but they've all been legit, up till now. This one emailed me.
    The 1st tip off was that she had no favorite songs to request. No woman would say that.
    The final tip off was her asking for my banking info....at that point I was tempted to write back F--- you!
    But I didn't. I told her I'd take a check on the day of the wedding. Never heard from her again.
    Not even sure it was a woman!
    Well I wouldn't know what women would say or not say, but I certainly agree that if you get an offer to do a gig that is accompanied by a request for banking information, it probably isn't legit. I'm still wondering how they got your name and email address. Did you Google their email address to see what comes up? It might be interesting. I've done that before and sometimes you get all kinds of info.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

I worked for the Water Company. We billed every two months. It took delinquency of two billing cycles before Collection Proceedings were initialized. And three cycles before shut off was authorized. And even then, the scofflaws were allowed to make a payment plan to catch up.

Bottom line, any sudden communication regarding imminent shut off is almost assuredly bogus.. We would send personnel out to the house, if necessary, to make collections...

Of course, that was how we handled the situation.

I have quite a bit of experience on this subject and I would just caution people who get phone calls, just hang up. Be careful how you answer random emails. Many of the calls and emails are not scamming, they are mining. They mine every bit of information that they can get from you and they sell it to scammers. The very fact that one answers a call is worth something. How long you stay on the line is worth something. Some people like to be clever and play games with callers, but every single word is being recorded and sold. They get enough words, those words can be rearranged to make it sound as if you are saying something else. So don't try to play games. You won't win, they know what they are doing. Good for Nicki, not responding with a F***k off. They don't care and that response is worth something to someone.
    Last edited by Rllink; 11-15-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Thread Information