Old, little talent, but lots of time.

Adam StJames

Reaction score
I had a guitar for about 20 years, but never could play it. A couple of months ago I tried a ukulele, and I discovered that the guitar was just too big. The uke is perfect. I bought a cheap one, and I practice every day, but I'm thinking of buying a better one, so that I have more motivation (money invested) to practice and be a better player.

Welcome Adam, neighbor. I played guitar for almost 50 years before I started playing uke a little over 6 years ago. I'm so entrenched in it now, I gave away my guitars. Wanting another uke makes you fit right in here, but it's not really necessary, practice as you're doing is the key. In my first year, I went through 16, then I culled it down to to 4 (I've since gone up to 9). The $250 - $400 range will get you a very nice one, I would recommend the Kala solid cedar top with acacia koa body and paduck reddish binding, it gets great reviews.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Welcome Adam. I suggest you look at used ukes or ones with blemishes. Ukerepublic.com usually have a few Ohanas and others with slight blemishes for a heck of a discount. Always a few good bargains in the Marketplace here. Just depends what you want to spend. Main thing is to ensure it has a proper setup.

Hi Adam. I'm pretty much the same as your thread title. After owning a couple of lesser priced ukuleles, I decided to go "all in" and bought a Kamaka HF3! My thinking was that the expensive ones seem to hold their price better than the others, and I also felt that I wanted to know/learn the sound that many others think is the classic Hawaiian sound. Its beautiful looks, tone, and ease of playing make practicing a joy. I know that many learn to play better than I ever will on a much less expensive instrument, but for me this was the right decision. Good luck on your search.

Top Bottom