Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thickness of archtop top and back.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett S. View Post
    As I said my first instrument was an archtop. And my second.
    Sorry Brett. I should have read that more carefully.

My intention is to help beginning arch top builders avoid the many pitfalls inherent in this kind of construction. My first arch top guitar, I used an X brace to arch the back into shape rather than carve it, it did not work too well. Had I done some research, I would have discovered that Martin had done the same thing many years ago and also found it did not work.
    As long there appears to be some interest in this discussion, I will continue to contribute what insight I have. Some history may be useful in understanding the concept. The arch top guitar replaced the banjo in the big bands back in the 1920’s. They were loud enough to be heard through the horn section of a band. The hallmark of a good arch top instrument is that it is loud, but has less sustain than flat tops. That is why arch top guitars are popular with jazz musicians. The same music played on a flat top guitar can sound muddy because the notes continue to ring. A good arch top ukulele should have the same properties, loud initially but with less sustain than a flat top ukulele.
    Brad
    Bradford Donaldson
    Kekaha, HI and Cannon Beach OR
    bradfordj48@outlook.com

Thread Information