Thread: Having problem with new aquila red (low G) string

Unhappy Having problem with new aquila red (low G) string

Hey,

I am now using Kala ziricote Concert ukulele.
    Just yesterday I changed strings to aquila red low G.
    But when I play my ukulele, I can feel that low G string vibrates too long compared to C, E, A strings.

It feels like low G is ruining chord harmony.

Anybody knows about this issue?

If you've been playing re entrant, low G can take a bit of getting used to, especially chords.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Thanks for advice, though G string‘s sustain is twice longer or more compare to other strings...
    I might just have to wait for few weeks to see if it settles.

Quote Originally Posted by prb035 View Post
    The Fremont Soloist wound low G might be an option to balance your Aquila string set. They seem to work well with most string sets & have a thinner core which tends to be less boomy
    I will try it when this low G is still problem after few weeks thank you by the way, are there any non-metal low G strings?

I use the low-G mostly for fingerstyle, so I just use less pressure when plucking the low-G. If you're strumming, you can try changing your wrist position so you don't hit the low-G so hard. Strum with your wrist, not your elbow.

Regarding non-metal low-G, that is usually called "unwound" and they are available, but unwound strings are much thicker, so you may need to widen your ukulele's nut to fit it.

interesting setup on a very nice uke! I like the uke but don't own it, and I like the strings and use them a lot. But I never go low G. good strings, those reds!
    ----------------------------------
    Mainland mahogany soprano
    Kala KA-SC
    Kala La Salle tenor

the Dominican Order: to praise, to bless, to preach

Lower tension on a string tends to make it sustain longer. That could be what is happening here compared to your high G that was on it before. I think your best approach would be a wound string, as noted if you wanted to tighten things up a bit. The non-wound low G strings are usually really fat and low tension.
    Your ears might adjust to it with some time, and you might even find a way to incorporate that into your playing. So I think you're smart for waiting a bit before changing.

Thread Information