Best Ukulele players ever?

Kamanaaloha

Kanaka
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just curious what the group thinks.

I will start with Troy Fernandez (Ka'au Crater Boys)...and he can sing too!

5 older players who were absolutely phenomenal in their prime:

Roy Smeck
George Formby
Eddie Kamae
Cliff Edwards
Arthur Godfrey

In No Particular Order
Kimo Hussey
Jake Shimabukuro
Kalei Gamiao
Corey Fujimoto
Iz Kamakawiwo’ole
Given Yagi
Neil Chin
And I’m sure I can add to the list

corey fujimoto ukulele

kalei gamiao

Herb Ohta Sr
Peter Moon
Kelly DeLima
Taimane Gardner
Lyle Ritz
Jesse Kalima
John Lukela
Don Baduria Sr
Kahauanu Lake

James Hill

How's about scouring the archives for all the favorite uke players and making a poll? One choice gets to a much more definite answer faster, IMO. To be a little more inclusive it could be broken down "best uke player of the 1970s" or "best uke player of the 2010s."

Though, if we're talking pure boundary-pushing technical and musical ability up to this point, I feel like the answer is pretty obvious:

James Hill

Please prove me wrong, but I don't know of anybody who even holds a tiny candle to that crazy cat.

Last edited:
Best is pretty subjective. When I payed guitar years ago best to me meant best guitarist; as in most proficient at playing something really difficult. From a rock perspective I pretty much despised Creedence as I felt it was possible to use household appliances on instruments to create the monotonous style of their songs.

I’ve always felt John King should be on a list of the best.
I like Corey Fujimoto.

Some of the musicianship is related to key that is selected. There are just some keys that lend themselves to impressive but somewhat easy to master. At the risk of sacrilege, some of Jake’s earlier arrangements are not as difficult as they sound. I lack his ability and technique, but only having to play 3 of the 4 strings, leaving the high g open, for significant portions makes things a lot easier.

John

Sooo subjective, as best and favorite often overlap... anyway, for my money it’s Cliff Edwards, aka Ukulele Ike.

The article about Ike in Ukulele Magazine is really cool.
Aldrine Guerrera turns my world inside out!
Another cat I think is pretty cool on the uke is Stu Fuchs.
And Del Ray is no slouch, either.
The old guys? George Formby!

Thanks 70sSan0, I forgot about John King — his ability to transpose and play classical on the ukulele was truly remarkable.

thoses guys from hms. and also some of the no name players on youtube,super good.

for me it will always be Cliff Edwards.

perhaps a better question would be directed to artists within particular genres,
as there are so many fine, fine instrumentalists past and present who really have excelled
within certain styles of music. for example: jazz, traditional, blues, ragtime, tin pan alley and etc.
James Hill is one who crosses and blurs all boundaries. Has to be the most well rounded player we've seen so far.

that said, and notwithstanding the wonderful players already mentioned,
several more for your consideration/exploration:

Azo Bell
Lyle Ritz
Bill Tapia
Lil' Rev

In their age group, I think Feng E and Evan J De Silva are two of the best ukulele players around.

That's like asking who is the prettiest girl. Do you prefer the style of Jake or Kimo? There are thousands of fantastic players, but picking the best isn't possible. It's a matter of personal preference, and I prefer variety.

Add Benny Chong to all those great players mentioned.

Top Bottom