Best Ukulele players ever?

Thanks for the replies! Keep them coming.

My father is pretty good...cannot read music, but boy can he play based on ear! Nod...Jake is good...as is Kimo...as are the greats...Kamae etc. What about Vedder? There is also Paiva...Mars...and Mraz! :)

Last edited:
He might be slack key guitar artist but he can rock a uke!

Definitely. Led is a great ukulele player. I’m on Oahu right now visiting my wife’s family. Going to see Led this Saturday at Honey’s in Kaneohe. Led is a great guy as well.

Bryan Tolentino is another great local artist. He’s playing Sunday night right around the corner from where I’m staying.
Willie K is a fabulous guitarist and ukulele player.
One other local guy I like is Kelly DeLima from the group Kapena. Great player.

THE best ukulele player in the world? The best, in which regard? The best picker? The best strummer? The best chord melody player? The best to accompany himself while singing?

I don't know. And honestly, I don't care. I do know for sure, it's not me, though... :D I might be in a poll for the okayest, ok, one of the okayest ukulele players of the world... ok, of my continent... well, my country... hmmm, my town? Maybe my part of town... well, my block, for sure!

I do like Aaron Keim's work a lot, although I am aware that there are a number of players with a better technique and a higher level of virtuosity. James Hill, already mentioned, was pretty impressive. Not only as a ukulele player, but as a musician. Much more than all those fretboard acrobats, who draw a lot of attention, and I realize why. But I can't help myself from being bored my most of them after a short time.

I think there are so many different styles not only of music to play on the uke, but also of actually playing the uke: some play finger style on their low g tenors, others play a much more percussive style on their vintage Martin soprano. Some days I prefer one thing, on other days the other. I keep enjoying the many different possibilities the different types of ukes offer, without wasting too much time thinking about who may be the best. Rather spend my time playing one of my ukes.

But I'll keep on reading any upcoming answers here. There might be inspiring stuff coming up.

Just my 2 cents... no offense intended!

Last edited:
THE best ukulele player in the world? The best, in which regard? The best picker? The best strummer? The best chord melody player? The best to accompany himself while singing?

Great point Frolicks.

Some of my favourites are Cathy Fink for clawhammer uke. Marcy Marxer, Cathy's partner, is a great chord melody player. Stu Fuchs impresses me with his playing as well.

I also like Rachel Manke, who presents demos and overviews of the Ohana ukes online from time to time. She has a great voice, excellent technique, and also seems to be a genuinely nice person.

Maybe not the best, but easily my favorite

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned Gerald Ross yet? He posts videos on here occasionally and does many festivals and workshops. I call him “Doctor Smooth” because his playing is so dang smooth and fluid.

Another vote for Cliff Edwards (Ukulele Ike).

John Colter

thank you for your replies! This is like a history and modern lesson on people I would never consider without your input...keep them coming! Thanks for the continuing education peeps!

The best ukulele player ever is ME!!..in a couple decades maybe I can hope:p (throwback to when Matthew Mcconaughey said in his Oscar speech that his hero was always himself, in ten years haha)

Seriously though, I've been making my way through John King's Classical Ukulele book and watching clips of him play with great envy and admiration :eek:

Has anyone mentioned Gerald Ross yet? He posts videos on here occasionally and does many festivals and workshops. I call him “Doctor Smooth” because his playing is so dang smooth and fluid.

I'll second that Motion about Gerald Ross! Fantastic musician indeed! I think I'm beginning to realize that it's really hard to try to come to any meaningful conclusion about who is the best player, because there are so darn many whose mastery of the instrument, and whose personal appeal and style, are so close! We're lucky to have so many to admire and learn from!

Top Bottom