How confusing is it to switch between different sizes?

I mainly play my tenor scaled ukes, which have various sized bodies, (soprano/concert/tenor).

I also have concerts & concert scaled long necked sopranos that get used fairly regularly too.

(Plus two baritones, but, I find the fret spacing too large for my hands - but do sometimes play them just for their tone.)

It is in my opinion not just about the fret spacing, scale. I can't play easy Aquila nylguts or nylon strings on soprano higher up the neck because of their thickness. It is not about exactly, that the scale is so short. If the strings were steel, I could feel the fretboard just fine. So then fluorocarbons for me always are preferred.

Soloing without looking can take time, like to adjust from soprano to a guitar scale, thats true.

The only concession I've made is, despite having guileles guitaleles, I am temporarily not playing any of them at all, for now. They will be there when I'm ready. But I felt like I had to buy these specific ones, while I had the chance (applies to ukes too, more or less).

I own a soprano, 2 concerts, a tenor, and a guitalele. Swapping takes a minute or so to adjust but it's not a big deal.

The only concession I've made is, despite having guileles guitaleles, I am temporarily not playing any of them at all, for now. They will be there when I'm ready. But I felt like I had to buy these specific ones, while I had the chance (applies to ukes too, more or less).

Funny that this topic is current again. I just came from 45 min of playing with a group at a nursing home. They said it would be crowded, so I brought my little Ohana sopranissimo. It's smaller than a sopranino, and a number of the people were pointing at me - well, pointing at the uke. :D Our leader said that the little uke made me look large. It wasn't difficult getting used to the small size, though.

Top Bottom