Trying Some Things -- Solid Linings, X Bracing, White Cedar, and Oak

Brett S.

Reaction score
IMG_20191016_073324636.jpgIMG_20191016_160038482.jpgIMG_20191016_160134782.jpgIMG_20191016_164448187_HDR.jpgIMG_20191016_160031145.jpg

Trying out some new things. Some really pretty oak I found, couldn't resist to try on an instrument.

Some white cedar that was obtained/harvested "locally" by relatives of mine. Only previous experience with this cedar is with wood shakes. Sounds like a close relative of West Coast cedars, but different nonetheless.

Solid linings. I used yellow poplar. It went pretty well. I didn't have enough kerfed linings left to put this together, and making it seemed kind of daunting.

And what seems to have become my top and back method of choice for clamping.

Nobody has a comment about X bracing, or shrink wrap, or oak?? :anyone:

I'm a really big fan of using oak for instruments, and that is some really pretty looking wood. What size uke is this? I've always thought an x-brace is way too heavy for anything smaller than a baritone. Even if it doesn't sound great, that'll definitely be a looker!

I'm a really big fan of using oak for instruments, and that is some really pretty looking wood. What size uke is this? I've always thought an x-brace is way too heavy for anything smaller than a baritone. Even if it doesn't sound great, that'll definitely be a looker!

This is a soprano. I know what you mean, I likely wouldn't have considered the X, except how flexible this cedar is, even longitudinally, and still fairly thick. So I thought maybe the X could compliment this particular soundboard and not kill the sound. I tried to not overdo it with the size of the braces, and carve them accordingly, and tapping still is sounding good to me. We shall see.

Nobody has a comment about X bracing, or shrink wrap, or oak?? :anyone:

After more than 5 yrs on this forum its still a mystery to me why some posts result in many replies and some get more or less ignored. Sometimes its the same old questions, or something that suggests no effort has been made to find an answer. In these cases I can understand why no-one replies, but there are instances where theres a debate or technical discussion to be had (at least in my humble opinion) that does not happen. On to your questions:

Oak gets mentioned every now and then on this forum. If you are a hobby maker oak is fine. The pros tend not to use it because the buyers want koa, mahogany etc and dont regard oak as a suitable wood irrespective of how the instrument sounds.

X bracing is used by some makers for baritone instruments or sometimes on archtop instruments. I have played a couple of inexpensive Chinese tenor ukes that were X braced and sounded OK but I think its fair to say few makers use X bracing on tenors,concerts or soprano ukes.

You may already know that most sopranos usually have no more that a bridge patch so X bracing does seem OTT ( I have no experience of white cedar). I also think few makers would use 3 back braces on a soprano: many tenors have only 2.

Vacuum clamping is often featured on the forum. I am not aware of shrink wrapping being used as a clamping system but maybe you are not the first to do this?

I am a hobby maker and encourage all to try new materials and methods and to share their experiences with fellow forum members

Yikes! I said Soprano but meant Concert. IT'S a CONCERT. But it's still a relatively small uke, I know.

After more than 5 yrs on this forum its still a mystery to me why some posts result in many replies and some get more or less ignored. Sometimes its the same old questions, or something that suggests no effort has been made to find an answer. In these cases I can understand why no-one replies, but there are instances where theres a debate or technical discussion to be had (at least in my humble opinion) that does not happen. On to your questions:

Oak gets mentioned every now and then on this forum. If you are a hobby maker oak is fine. The pros tend not to use it because the buyers want koa, mahogany etc and dont regard oak as a suitable wood irrespective of how the instrument sounds.

X bracing is used by some makers for baritone instruments or sometimes on archtop instruments. I have played a couple of inexpensive Chinese tenor ukes that were X braced and sounded OK but I think its fair to say few makers use X bracing on tenors,concerts or soprano ukes.

You may already know that most sopranos usually have no more that a bridge patch so X bracing does seem OTT ( I have no experience of white cedar). I also think few makers would use 3 back braces on a soprano: many tenors have only 2.

Vacuum clamping is often featured on the forum. I am not aware of shrink wrapping being used as a clamping system but maybe you are not the first to do this?

I am a hobby maker and encourage all to try new materials and methods and to share their experiences with fellow forum members

It's a Concert size, I goofed. This white cedar is very flexible, maybe it's not even suitable for instruments. Even at 2mm plus. I'm hopeful.

I'd love to see more local and sustainable wood choices become more mainstream. I think our local woods can be as beautiful as any Koa, and can't they sound as good as well? I built a Tenor uke, with Douglas Fir top and Honey Locust sides. My first one. I think it sounds amazing. Honey Locust is a dense wood and can have striking color with yellows and pinks, and has a bell like tap tone. And I will use Doug Fir again, but you have to find the right piece I've learned.

I think the shrink wrap idea came from the old Spanish guitar clamping method you see with rope or string. I ship things, so I always have some shrink wrap around.

Brett
Very nice looking instrument - and a tidy job

Did the oak bend okay for the sides?

Cheers
Mike

Thanks!

The oak was wonderful to bend. The easiest bending wood I've had in a while.

I think the shrink wrap idea came from the old Spanish guitar clamping method you see with rope or string. I ship things, so I always have some shrink wrap around.

Hey, I though the shrink wrap idea was great. Whatever works... I was using some of that shrink bandage stuff the other day and thought it could make excellent clamping material for all sorts of things including tops, backs, fretboards, etc. I will stick with conventional clamps for now, but it is an idea.

bandage.jpg

Nice article in the Summer 2015 American Lutherie with Bob Gleason doing a workshop at the 2014 GAL convention, and he is using X bracing on his tenors. He also does fan bracing but says he gets the same sound from both.

Top Bottom