Looking for a uke teacher in Hawaii

ukuhaole

Reaction score
Howzit! My name's Miles, I'm a general music & strings teacher in Boston MA. Primarily a cellist, but have learned/taught myself viola, violin, bass, guitar, mandolin, and ukulele. I would consider myself a solid intermediate-level player, past chucking on major/minor chords but not yet playing difficult melodic/fingerpicking pieces.

I'm planning a trip to Oahu in February, and would love to take a ukulele master class or two. I'm looking for someone who grew up/trained in Hawaii or who is a traditional Hawaiian music expert. Would love to talk not only about uke technique, but singing & pronunciation in Hawaiian as well.

My internet search has led me to the Hawaiian Culture Center, which lists a few amazing teachers: http://en.poepoehcc.com/ukulele/private/

Do you know of any ukulele teachers in Hawaii (any island--but Moloka'i would be a bonus!) that seem to fit my criteria? Or know anyone who might know someone? I'd love their contact info! If not, I'm going to start emailing UH Manoa music faculty and see if anyone can steer me in the right direction.

Mahalo! :shaka:

I see Byron Yasui listed. I took some workshops with him a number of years back. I can't say enough about his great skill as a player and teacher. He has an amazing ability to break things down and explain them in a very clear and understandable way. He would be a great choice.

I see Byron Yasui listed. I took some workshops with him a number of years back. I can't say enough about his great skill as a player and teacher. He has an amazing ability to break things down and explain them in a very clear and understandable way. He would be a great choice.

Thank you EDW!! Incredibly helpful.

Hi Miles, and welcome. In addition to Byron Yasui, Bryan Tolentino is also on the PoePoe list and he's great - I had an impromptu lesson with him in the Kamaka parking lot some years back and still remember what I learned.

Methinks the Hawaiian Culture Center swings strongly towards well-heeled Japanese "cultural" tourists. You might try hitting up some of the teachers listed individually as they're all freelancers.

Thanks, I will probably do that. I did find other sites/places that I would say are falling into the 'tourist trap' situation, was hoping this isn't one but their prices are quite significant, compared to what I'm used to. Not outside the realms of possibility though. Thanks!

contact Hawaii Music Supply/The Ukulele Site and ask for contact info for Aaron Crowell.
Aaron has taken over HMS' Hawaii Music School and has several YouTube videos you
can check out.

keep uke'in',

contact Hawaii Music Supply/The Ukulele Site and ask for contact info for Aaron Crowell.
Aaron has taken over HMS' Hawaii Music School and has several YouTube videos you
can check out.

keep uke'in',

Uncle Rod nails it again! Aaron is a great suggestion. Plus, you get to hang out at HMS.

Well, did you find a teacher there? I also want to fly to Hawaii, otherwise I have here https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/world/ just the material about this place, but I really like to travel! Essays on world did very cool, look, maybe there you will find some kind of teacher or study material!

Last edited:
Top Bottom