Opinions on Koaloha Long neck soprano's Koa versus Opio

colemole

Reaction score
Hello all
Curious about these two instruments. Different woods and manufactured in different countries I understand. Build and sound comparable or significantly different? Recommendations? Opinions?
Thanks Colemole

Hello all
Curious about these two instruments. Different woods and manufactured in different countries I understand. Build and sound comparable or significantly different? Recommendations? Opinions?
Thanks Colemole

I played a KoAloha longneck soprano once in a store and it was fantastic, have some regrets that I didn't buy it when I had the chance. As for comparison with Opio, they sound "almost" as good as the real thing, but are also much cheaper ... all in all better value I think. I intend to visit the factory again next month to check out the latest incarnations. How do you like your Sawchyn?

I am happy with it. Well built, beautiful tone and still opening up. A pleasure to play. It will be one of my keepers.

I don't have the long neck KoAloha soprano, but I do own both the Koa and acacia Opio in the concert scale. Yes, there is a significant price difference between the Koa and the Opio, but, in my opinion, the Koa is the superior instrument. Although their size and shape are similar, I find the Koa's finish, weight, tone, feel and play of the neck to be far better. It feels elegant somehow, and is great for both strumming and finger-style playing. To be fair, the Opio is a very good ukulele for it's price. It just doesn't make me smile the way my Koa does. YMMV. :)

Jan D
(a Canuck living in Oregon)

Both are for sale in used condition in the UU marketplace. Get what you want for a good price now.

I don't know anything about those ukes, but you might get more responses for this thread in another forum. I'm not sure if you meant to put it in "reviews" or not.

Top Bottom