New Build in Progress: Kimo Ukuleles

sam13

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I hope you are well, and enjoying your Ukulele or family of Ukuleles.

A few years back, I had a Spruce top tenor and sold it as I really loved the sound and wanted to get ready to buy something used that someone else might be selling. Well, it didn't happen for whatever reason.

My good friend DownUpDave had bought a Kimo Ukulele used and it was so sweet! Masterful craftsmanship, and the tone was and remains superb. He then had another one built ... poor lad suffers from UAS ... you know. Like the rest of us.

Since I didn't have a Spruce top, I decided to pursue the Kimo Ukulele after seeing another friend buy one (Hawaii50).

I am excited to share with you a new build with Hank Johnson at Kimo Ukuleles. He has been superb to work with and very patient.

I am looking forward to playing this gem. I am posting the beginnings of the Uke and will continue to share them as they are available.

Thanks to Hank in advance for a fabulous instrument.

The abalone around the sound hole is the same as around the edge of the Uke. The light is hitting it slightly differently.

If you are interested in looking for Kimo Ukuleles, you can find Hank at www.kimoukulele.com

I subscribed to his blog at the bottom of his site.

Cheers to all, and Uke on!

IMG_20190919_084556714.jpgIMG_20191002_092518337.jpgIMG_20191002_092550728.jpgIMG_20191003_112056016.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great

Always love a good build thread :drool:

Simon, Thank you for sharing your build. The bear claw figure, and the paua purfling and rosette are stunning. Bear claw spruce sounds as good as it looks, too.

Love my Kimo, it's my go to uke.

Looking like a beautiful build.

It really is going to be a stunner. No doubt it will sound as good as it looks, that koa back is gorgeous. Well done my friend, I know you have put a lot of thought and effort into this. Can't wait to play it

Last edited:
Nice Koa hope the Spruce top works for you I really like my Kimo uke..Hank is a really good builder and easy to work with..

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks very much for your kinds words.

I am quite excited to hear and see it, and it has been fun sharing it with people as it progresses.

I have enjoyed playing Dave's Kimo Ukes and know this will be wonderful as well.

Hank tells me that it has a "big sound" ... from a tap perspective.

Fingers crossed.

Simon, the wood looked wonderful, congratulations. You will love the uke.
Hank makes great sounding instruments. I have a Kimo Baritone and a Kimo Tenor. They are amongst my best sounding ukuleles.

Top Bottom