Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Build in Progress: Kimo Ukuleles

Default New Build in Progress: Kimo Ukuleles

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are well, and enjoying your Ukulele or family of Ukuleles.

A few years back, I had a Spruce top tenor and sold it as I really loved the sound and wanted to get ready to buy something used that someone else might be selling. Well, it didn't happen for whatever reason.

My good friend DownUpDave had bought a Kimo Ukulele used and it was so sweet! Masterful craftsmanship, and the tone was and remains superb. He then had another one built ... poor lad suffers from UAS ... you know. Like the rest of us.

Since I didn't have a Spruce top, I decided to pursue the Kimo Ukulele after seeing another friend buy one (Hawaii50).

I am excited to share with you a new build with Hank Johnson at Kimo Ukuleles. He has been superb to work with and very patient.

I am looking forward to playing this gem. I am posting the beginnings of the Uke and will continue to share them as they are available.

Thanks to Hank in advance for a fabulous instrument.

The abalone around the sound hole is the same as around the edge of the Uke. The light is hitting it slightly differently.

If you are interested in looking for Kimo Ukuleles, you can find Hank at www.kimoukulele.com

I subscribed to his blog at the bottom of his site.

Cheers to all, and Uke on!

IMG_20190919_084556714.jpgIMG_20191002_092518337.jpgIMG_20191002_092550728.jpgIMG_20191003_112056016.jpg
    Last edited by sam13; 10-19-2019 at 09:09 AM.
    How bad is your UAS?

Wow Simon, the woods look amazing.

How very exciting for you. So far she looks like a beauty.

Looks great
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)

So exciting! Looking forward to hearing more about it and seeing pics.
    Kathryn

Always love a good build thread
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

!Flukutronic!

Simon, Thank you for sharing your build. The bear claw figure, and the paua purfling and rosette are stunning. Bear claw spruce sounds as good as it looks, too.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Love my Kimo, it's my go to uke.

Looking like a beautiful build.
    Tenors: Rebel Elysium, Kimo "El Diablo" custom, Kanile'a Platinum Pinneaple, MyaMoe custom, RISA stick, Ohana TK35G-5 5 string, Gretch G9120
    Concert: Vox solid body electric, Cripple Creek cigar box
    Soprano: KoAloha T2 Tenor neck, Tyde "Little Rusty", 1940s Martin style 3, Kamoa, Kala
    Sopranino: Tyde
    Banjolele: 1920s Concertone, Southern Cross Concert, Southern Cross UB-2 style, Kala
    Other: 8 string Tahitian

It really is going to be a stunner. No doubt it will sound as good as it looks, that koa back is gorgeous. Well done my friend, I know you have put a lot of thought and effort into this. Can't wait to play it
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 10-19-2019 at 02:50 AM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Nice Koa hope the Spruce top works for you I really like my Kimo uke..Hank is a really good builder and easy to work with..
    Last edited by hawaii 50; 10-18-2019 at 08:02 PM.
    Kanile'a K-2 Concert,Ko'Aloha Super Concert,Maui Music 1998 Koa Tenor,Compass Rose Koa Tenor,Graziano Koa Tenor,Kamaka HF3-S,Moore Bettah Milo/Sitka Spruce Tenor,DeVine mother of curl Koa/Engleman Spruce Tenor,Ko'olau Indo Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Tenor,Washburn Lyon and Healy 1936 Bell shaped soprano,Lfdm Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce Tenor,Rollo Scheurenbrand African Blackwood/Adirondack Spruce Tenor

Thread Information