Thread: New member w/ thru-bolt neck.

Default New member w/ thru-bolt neck.

Not quite sure how the forum works. This is my first attempt. About two months ago, I sat in on a ukulele class/jam in Key Largo and volunteered to play the instructor's Kala ubass that she had received as a gift. I had to work at compressing my fingers into the much tighter scale than my Fender Precision and not pulling the notes sharp. But, it was a lot of fun. The Kala has a good upright sound but I wanted more sustain. So, I took a block of mahogany and a 21.5" scale very short scale guitar neck and built an elec. ubass with roundwound strings and a magnetic humbucking pickup. It plays quite well (IMHO). Then, I, modified a mini-electric guitar w/ a 19" scale to become a non-re-entrant steel string tenor uke w/ an added D string on the bass end. Thus, earning the moniker, Dr. Ukenstein, from a fellow class member. Much of the building knowledge I used came from this forum. Maybe, I can some provide some unique insights, here. Dr. U.
    Last edited by Dr.Ukenstein; 10-19-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Clarification

Cool!

Got pictures?
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Southcoast MU)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone "Rennaissance Guitar": Kala KA-SBG (C-Linear with Worth BL-LGs currently.)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Tenor "Low G': Kala KA-FMTG (Southcoast LML-NW
    Tenor: Kala SRT-CTG-E (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Baritone "Nui": Pono NS-10 (Worth B-B)

Default Bolt on neck creations

Hope this works...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome Dr. U!

Looks pretty good. Does it sound a bit elastic bandy... you know like a U-bass? Or does it have a different sound?

Between the title of the thread and your name, my brain reads "Frankenstein" every time :-p
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

Concert - (for sale) Ziegenspeck mahogany Sunburst sunrise Kanile'a KSC-C
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote Kamaka 100th anniversary Kanile'a KSR-T LFDM ukaferri
    Baritone - Kala SMHB

"Beater" no brand solid spruce + rosewood tenor

Welcome Dr.U, you're right in my wheelhouse. For the last 5 years plus, I've been playing bass with my ukulele group, only because bass ukes and small bass guitars have become available. For the almost 50 years before that, I played rhythm guitar and was often told I should play bass because I had good tempo and feel, but didn't want to be encumbered by a large electric bass, forget a standup.

I too convert small electric guitars to bass, and modify available solid body bass ukes to look like commercial basses. Here's my entire collection in detail.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

LilyL, Not a bit elastic bandy sound. More like the old EBO/EB1 sound of Jack Bruce or Felix Pappalardi. The roundwound stainless strings of larger diameter than long scale bass combined with the magnetic Ernie Ball style humbucker pick-up provide far more sustain and punch.

Welcome to UU
    Grandma Penny

Mike, I have seen your adaptations in my searches. I especially like the McCarthy style violin shaped rig. Mainly, I wanted to use an off the shelf s.s. roundwound string setup that would not buzz when the bridge is set low. So, a 5 string set of Ibanez roundwounds for the 28+" scale Mikro bass was used. Note: the long string distance between non-compensated bridge and thru-body holes. The B-string gets tuned to E and so forth with the G-string left over. I intend to do some cosmetic stuff but this works well for now on a homemade rig made from past parts.

Thread Information