Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start with guitar?

Default Where to start with guitar?

Hello,

I'm taking my first tentative steps into guitar and was wondering if anyone had any tips in terms of where a good place to start might be?

Any and all help welcome!
    Thanks in advance,
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

•••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••

Soprano - 2002 Koa KoAloha
    Concert - Ziegenspeck mahogany Sunburst sunrise • Kanile'a KSC-C
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 • Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote • Kamaka 100th anniversary • Kanile'a KSR-T • LFDM ukaferri
    Baritone - Kala SMHB

"Beater" no brand solid spruce + rosewood tenor

I have gone from uke to guitar (played or attempted to play acoustic guitar 15 years ago) and I am really enjoying it.

You have two choices in guitar, steel string acoustic or nylon string classical. It will really boils down to the sound you like and the style of music/playing you prefer. Steel string is associated with strumming and singing but works well with fingerpicking chord melody, think Tommy Emmanuel. Nylon for fingerpicking but can be strummed even with a pick, think Willie Nelson and tons of folk music.

My advice is buy a smaller bodied instrument 1/2 -3/4 size, think Taylor GS mini size in steel or Córdoba Cadete for nylon. You could go smaller like the Cordoba Mini which is the size of a baritone uke with 6 strings. With the 20” scale it is not the best tuned to E-E, standard guitar tuning. It does work although G-G seems best. Don’t make the mistake of buying a narrow necked classical because you think the stretch is easier. It causes problems with fretting cleanly, go 48mm nut width minimum. Feel free to ask any questions I have both steel and nylon guitars now and love both sounds
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 10-19-2019 at 03:10 AM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Thank you so much Dave! I've been thinking about guitar for a long time, but have been nervous to try (feel like I'm being unfaithful to my ukes! haha). But I've just seen a Simon and Patrick woodland pro solid parlor guitar advertised for sale near me. Off to check it's specifications after your very kind and helpful reply! This one is with steel strings. I play a mix of strumming and picking, but picking is my happy place!
    Last edited by pix.fairydust; 10-19-2019 at 03:26 AM.

Tenor - Anuenue UT200 • Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote • Kamaka 100th anniversary • Kanile'a KSR-T • LFDM ukaferri
    Baritone - Kala SMHB

In terms of learning, any good places / resources to start with?

Baritone - Kala SMHB

Quote Originally Posted by pix.fairydust View Post
    In terms of learning, any good places / resources to start with?
    The most popular site on the web by far is Justin Guitar. It is free and has a huge amount of content. Takes you from how to hold a guitar and pick all the way up to advanced stuff. You start out very early with simple but popular and contemporary songs which keep you interested and motivated. You can use the website or the app. I have enjoyed this learning tool immensely and am getting into music theory because he has a great dedicated section to it. Something I have avoided for all the wrong reasons.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 10-19-2019 at 08:04 AM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by pix.fairydust View Post
    Thank you so much Dave! I've been thinking about guitar for a long time, but have been nervous to try (feel like I'm being unfaithful to my ukes! haha). But I've just seen a Simon and Patrick woodland pro solid parlor guitar advertised for sale near me. Off to check it's specifications after your very kind and helpful reply! This one is with steel strings. I play a mix of strumming and picking, but picking is my happy place!
    Simon and Patrick make a great guitar at sensible prices, Canadian made so I am biased. The parlour is a excellent size, small enough to be easy to hold and play, big enough to sound good. Good luck

I've gone ahead and have pretty much pulled the trigger on it - see it / play / pay / pick up tomorrow all looking ok. It's a really cool looking sunburst. We agreed on £440 which I think is reasonable.

Thank you, I stumbled across Justin Guitar in my searches so will bookmark his site and start there. Thank you for your help

Baritone - Kala SMHB

I have purchased a DHo 6 strings for Pepe Romero Creations to try my hand with 2 extra strings.. waiting to see how that goes.
    I like the steel string sound but the act of changing steel strings makes me very nervous, had a few snap on me.

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous about the strings too! I considered nylon but there wasn't as much choice, especially in the used market.

Baritone - Kala SMHB

Steel strings definitely require an adjustment on the fingers, but they sound so much better strummed. I got a steel string 7 years ago to return to guitar after a long break (from a classical guitar) and never really got on with the steel strings, which is probably what pushed me toward ukulele. I still want another classical guitar one day (making do with a baritone uke for now), but you've got to decide if you like the sound of playing non-classical music on on a nylon string guitar. Both would be ideal.
    Glenn

Thread Information