Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to start with guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by pix.fairydust View Post
    Yeah, I'm a bit nervous about the strings too! I considered nylon but there wasn't as much choice, especially in the used market.
    Check out Cordoba. They make many "crossover" models with smaller necks but with nylon strings and are widely available. Romero Creations and Pono build several nice small nylon string guitars, albeit harder to find than Cordoba. I think La Patrie has a few as well.

Go for a steel stringed electro acoustic.

Classical acoustic tend to have wide nut and hence fretboard that you may find uncomfortable.

An electro acoustic will have a nut width of about 41 mm which is the same as most fully electric solid bodied guitars.

Yamaha, Epiphone, Cort, Fender and Ibanez would be my suggested makes to consider.

As for online tutorials look first at justinguitar.com

He is the best there is with hundreds of free tutorials which is thousands if hours of videos to watch and the cover all genres.

Checkout the Apps that he has which are also very useful in uke playing.

Justin makes his living from the website via donations and the sale of books and Apps so not much outlay if indeed you want any at all since the books are not really hecessary.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone! I went with a used Simon and Patrick woodland pro parlor guitar I found for sale 10 miles away. It has a wonderful sound! I really like it. I've had a bit of a play but won't be able to get properly stuck in till the weekend now.

Justin guitar is a great website! So much content and so accessible and easy to understand. Thanks for the suggestion.
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

Soprano - 2002 Koa KoAloha
    Concert - Ziegenspeck mahogany Sunburst sunrise Kanile'a KSC-C
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote Kamaka 100th anniversary Kanile'a KSR-T LFDM ukaferri
    Baritone - Kala SMHB

"Beater" no brand solid spruce + rosewood tenor

Congratulations on a great choice. Smart idea to buy a reputable brand that was used, save money and get a great guitar. Enjoy your new journey.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Thread Information