Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a Ukulele for my girlfriends birthday, I am so lost.!

One of the leaders of my uke club received an expensive ukulele from her husband. She doesn't like it and sticks to her old improver uke. Doesn't want to tell her husband and trade it in because it was a gift of love.

If you're talking about just painting some sort of design on the top of the cheap uke she gave you, I doubt it will impact the sound. People do it all the time with their Flukes and Fleas. If you're talking about slathering a thick layer of paint over the whole thing, it might. But if you play it as a result, I'd say go for it. It's a cheap uke--free to you, in fact--and probably doesn't sound that great to begin with. Make it yours.

If you want a custom strap for her ukulele, I have been custom-making straps for 40 years from all kinds of fabric as well as leather. I went to a sale at a furniture maker's business site two weeks ago. They had rolls of fabric about 8" diameter and 1 1/2" wide. They will make wonderful straps! Sewing them together inside out and then turning them right side out will have nice unseen seams. When I asked the cost per roll, the reply was "They are 50 cents for the whole bag." A bag is about 50 rolls per bag. I bought two of them. They will be adjustable for length and have double leather pieces for the attachment. If you are interested, I will make one for her for you....yes......as a gift... but you have to tell me what you want when you find out what she wants.
    Last edited by TheCraftedCow; 10-22-2019 at 11:37 AM. Reason: error corrections

Quote Originally Posted by lillly View Post
    Hi!

I've been googling ukulele's for my girlfriends birthday, but, I am so lost. I have no idea what I am looking for, what is good and what she might like. I am not musically talented or knowledgeable except for enjoying it.

She currently has a Tribute Guitars Ukulele, TRI-UK5EQ, and has talked about wanting to upgrade from this. The TRI-UK6EQ is around $160, I am thinking budget of around AUS$300 to $400? But I don't really know what I am looking for!

Do different kinds sound different? Are they used for different kinds fo music or just a different sound?
    Do different woods affect the sound? Is it just aesthetic?
    (Side note, she has a cheap one she doesn't really play, if I painted that would it ruin the sound? She has given it to me so not ruining anything of hers..)

Also, are there any accessories you find invaluable that a non-music person mightn't know about? (These would be in addition to above budget)

Thank you so much in advance! She has had a really, really tough year and deserves something great.
    Oh my god! I've just registered here to ask the same question i have! A little bit another situation, because i'm gonna gift ukulele for my boyfriend for his b-day And i play guitar, but acoustic one, and i don't savvy in ukulele theme) Help me, good guys! My boyfriend hinted me that he wants Mahalo or Vorson. I surfed internet and found this forum and one more review where ukuleles are compared and described. There are both of them there, and i want you to help me with making a choice. And pay attention on Ellen Electric Concert Ukulele with Amp, there are all accessories included, and it costs 100$... Is it good? Or trash? Help me please, i'm waiting for your feedback!

upd. I know, that it'll be much better if he chooses, not me. I chose my acoustic guitar myself, and it's much better than if smb'd made decision for me. But i want to make a keepsake, you know. I'm a romantic soul) And this is not cool, if girl brings boy to the store and says:"Choose!!!"
    Last edited by guitar.hero; 10-31-2019 at 01:53 AM.

I've got a Clearwater, which is the same as the Vorson, it's a reasonable steel string electric uke - he'll need to get an amp for it though, otherwise you won't hear much.

(The others are unknowns regarding quality.)
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar.hero View Post
    Oh my god! I've just registered here to ask the same question i have! A little bit another situation, because i'm gonna gift ukulele for my boyfriend for his b-day And i play guitar, but acoustic one, and i don't savvy in ukulele theme) Help me, good guys! My boyfriend hinted me that he wants Mahalo or Vorson. I surfed internet and found this forum and one more review where ukuleles are compared and described. There are both of them there, and i want you to help me with making a choice. And pay attention on Ellen Electric Concert Ukulele with Amp, there are all accessories included, and it costs 100$... Is it good? Or trash? Help me please, i'm waiting for your feedback!

upd. I know, that it'll be much better if he chooses, not me. I chose my acoustic guitar myself, and it's much better than if smb'd made decision for me. But i want to make a keepsake, you know. I'm a romantic soul) And this is not cool, if girl brings boy to the store and says:"Choose!!!"
    Regarding the romanticism: I would believe it depends on the „choreography“ — you may be able to devise an extremely romantic blindfolded drive to the music store, with the blindfold only coming off vis-a-vis the ukulele rack.

If that really is no option, it is sort of hard to comment on his „wishlist“. Does he own a uke already? The brands he named are not particularly well-reputed, some I even don‘t know. Mahalo is not really recommended much if I remember, unless you want a really cheap uke? The general advice is to go with a Kala, but check out many similar requests for ukulele purchases in this forum. That should give you a good overview.
    Last edited by Dada; 10-31-2019 at 08:48 PM.
    ( o ) == ::

Hi everyone,

It's great idea about blindfold, i'll probably do that This is about the most romantic thing that i've ever heard, it is simple and romantic simultaneously, it remains only to make sure that he'll agree to walk blind down the streets

Thank you for your feedback, i'll keep in mind about "Clearwater" and i'll tell him when he'll be choosing.

You helped me, i feel i'll make it right way.

Well, if the blindfold thing works, be sure to post a short report how everything went down :-)
    ( o ) == ::

Thread Information