Season 401: Tarantino

From Kill Bill, Volume 2. I don't plug in too often, but decided to try it, to add some reverb and vibrato, for an old-timey feel.

This one was written by Joe "Red" Hayes and Jack Rhodes. Hayes explained the origin of the song in an interview: "The song came from my mother. Everything in the song are things I heard her say over the years. I put a lot of thought into the song before I came up with the title. One day my father-in-law asked me who I thought the richest man in the world was, and I mentioned some names. He said, 'You're wrong; it is the man with a satisfied mind.'"

re

Last edited:
We are going strong here, 16 songs in the first 2½ day!

Keep them coming.

I believe the playlist is up to date :)

Hi all,

I was signed up to host Season 403 - but something has come up that will mean I am out of Catalonia that week. So I have asked Brain to reschedule my week. Meanwhile, that leaves us short of a host for 403.

Anyone fancy volunteering? If so, please contact Brian (Pabrizzer) on the "Sign Up" thread... or by PM.

Cheers,

Berni

Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down). Written by Sonny Bono. Performed by his then-wife Cher in 1966, it became her first million selling single, and her first top 3 hit in the UK. Also in 1966 Nancy Sinatra covered this song, with a cool tremolo guitar played by her arranger Billy Strange.

Nancy's cover version was used in the opening credits of the 2003 Quentin Tarantino film Kill Bill Volume 1.

Last edited:
Another Satisfied Mind... (Sorry 'bout that, Mikkel). Lonesome Town - 3, A Satisfied Mind - 5.

I believe I promised to do this song in the teaser in the "seasonal anticipation" thread :)

For those who doesn't know the story:
I Tarantinos western "The Hateful Eight" Jennifer Jason Leigh plays this song on guitar, and adds a verse that mocks Kurt Russels character. He then smashes the guitar into pieces.
The thing is that Tarantino had borrowed a priceless vintage Martin guitar from the Martin Company, authentic to the western era, to use for the guitar playing scene.
It was supposed to be switched for a replice before the smashing scene, but nobody told Kurt Russel.
Now nobody would want to loan a vintage Martin instrument to anyone for recording this song. So I play it on a recent Ohana :)

Great Theme, thanks for hosting Mikkel. Raw rendition of a an old song written by Joe "Red" Hayes and Jack Rhodes. Tons of covers out there, but surprisingly I wasn't familiar with the song before this week. Really enjoyed learning this one!

Top Bottom