Another Ikea cabinet that works well with ukulele, ( lighting suggestions?)

Ukujiji

Reaction score
Hi, UU friends. Winter is not yet here in Canada, I already got 30% humidity, I think it might be a good idea to invest in a cabinet. I have 3 ukuleles that I play every single day, it is impractical to keep them all in their cases. Also, my cat knocked over my Kanile'a Tenor, caused a huge dent in the binding, ( pics below) there is no way I leave my ukes in the open again.
20191006_002019000_iOS.jpg
This is the display cabinet I purchased from Ikea. (FABRIKÖR)

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/fabrikoer-glass-door-cabinet-beige-20242277/

I like it for 3 reasons:
1. It's pretty:D.
2. I live in a very small student residence, the cabinet doesn't take up a lot of space. It could only hold 2 ukulele, I had to put up a guitar string in order to hold my soprano. There's still space on top for a shelf, I left it open because I want to install some display light.
3. There is a seal between the metal and the glass to prevent metal scratches against the glass (pics below), it works great as humidity seal. I would say the cabinet is 80% sealed.
20191019_202634777_iOS.jpg
Before I got the cabinet, the humidity in my room is 30%. I put a bowl of water in the cabinet, now the humidity in the cabinet is 50% +/- 10%. I'm planning on adding a few humidity control packs and sound hole humidifier. I think It could get through winter just fine.

I don't know too much about tech, ideally I would link a InkBird humidity controller with a battery powered humidifier, not sure how can I do it.

I'd like to have some display lighting, any suggestions? Preferably something battery powered, otherwise I'll have to drill a hole. I've tried these stick on closet lights, they were not bright enough.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FY57K63/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any humidification and lighting idea?
20191019_202348899_iOS.jpg20191019_202514605_iOS.jpg

You can put at least two more in there. You’re not trying hard enough. Just kidding. Looks great! I might try strip LED lights. You can probably attach them With adhesives and unlike the puck lights, if the adhesive fails the fall probably won’t damage your instruments.

Sorry about your ding. The first one is the worse.

Very cool!
I wonder if you could find some bright, battery powered LED lights to stick in there. I don't have any particular suggestions on which ones as that is not my area of expertise, to say the least...but I have seen it done.
Thanks for sharing your project. Great way to display and protect your ukes.

What a practical and safe way to store your lovely ukes! The Ikea cabinet looks to be just the ticket in terms of not only allowing you to control the humidity but making for an attractive way to display the instruments.

Hi Jiji

Very nice cabinet!

IKEA has lights for illuminating pictures, book cases, and kitchen cabinets. I'd avoid the hassle of changing/recharging batteries.

It may be sufficient and tidy to use large sponge in a plastic tray or covered box (cut some holes) filled with water.

Music stores sell hangers for ukes/guitars that will attach to sides of the cabinet.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hello all
I reside in Canada and have the humidity issues most of us do in the colder parts of the country. I am wondering about using a 5 cubic foot non functional deep freeze that has good seals for a humidity case. I removed the compressor etc. and have cleaned it well. Just waiting to be sure there is no odours inside. Wondering how many of the Boveda 49% packages a person would need to humidify the unit. I believe I could store at least a mix 4 of concert/ Tenors in here. It may not be pretty but hopefully functional. I am away at times for a month or two at a time and my wife is not fussy about fussing with my instruments. Your thoughts?

Top Bottom