Ratios on a Martin

When these were first discussed I was about to order a set, then there was mention of breakages and long string posts, so I held fire.
Now this thread has reminded me again.
Has anyone bought them lately or do you know if the issues have been resolved?

Vintage

As far as the Ratio tuners are concerned, I have the original set that Chuck Moore gave me on my personal ukulele. I recently received another set from StewMac and compared their dimensions. It appears they have beefed up the shaft, or rather left more material in the string notch section. Old minimum shaft diameter is .183”, new minimum shaft diameter is .221”.
Brad

I just bought a set of GraphTech Tune-a-lele Ratio tuners off of Reverb. Can you explain what part of the shaft you are measuring to get these measurements? Would like to know so I can determine if I have old or new versions.

As far as the Ratio tuners are concerned, I have the original set that Chuck Moore gave me on my personal ukulele. I recently received another set from StewMac and compared their dimensions. It appears they have beefed up the shaft, or rather left more material in the string notch section. Old minimum shaft diameter is .183”, new minimum shaft diameter is .221”.
Brad

I measured at the base of the shaft right above the bushing. It was about .230” on both. I then measured the minimum diameter of the shaft, right where the hole for the string is, it measured around.183 on the original tuners and .221” on the new ones.
Brad

I must have gotten an older version. I measured .225" at the base of the shaft, then measured .185" where the hole for the string is located.

I measured at the base of the shaft right above the bushing. It was about .230” on both. I then measured the minimum diameter of the shaft, right where the hole for the string is, it measured around.183 on the original tuners and .221” on the new ones.
Brad

I just put the same ones on my old Martin. I love to play it and the old tuners just didn't hold well. It's not a collector, but a great player and it just became a better player.

I just bit the bullet and sent my 1960's
S-O off to get Gotoh UPT's installed. I can't wait to get it back.

Top Bottom