Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ratios on a Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Dave, yes, the Graphtech Ratio tuners (they call them Tune-a-Lele http://www.pohakuukulele.com/store/p...rs-y4h2m-5979b ) do indeed have long posts, They work fine, but some may find the look of the long posts objectionable. On the other hand, Gotoh UPT tuners have shorter posts, and look great and work very well. Of course, the Gotohs cost almost 3x more. Picolf a ratio. com[patred to a standard Gotoh 9B or 9W below.

Attachment 122298
    That's a great comparison photo John. Especially if someone is avoiding "ears" on their uke, they're pretty concerned with aesthetics and a detail like this is worth pointing out. UPTs are a bit chunky on the back, Pegheads are long at the back, and these have long posts. Which details are you good with? The alternative is to get used to friction tuners.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Dave, yes, the Graphtech Ratio tuners (they call them Tune-a-Lele http://www.pohakuukulele.com/store/p...rs-y4h2m-5979b ) do indeed have long posts, They work fine, but some may find the look of the long posts objectionable. On the other hand, Gotoh UPT tuners have shorter posts, and look great and work very well. Of course, the Gotohs cost almost 3x more. Picolf a ratio. com[patred to a standard Gotoh 9B or 9W below.

Attachment 122298
    Another consideration with the longer posts is the possibly reduced angle from the nut to the tuner. It would be nice if they could offer them in both long and short posts for thick and thin headstocks.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

May I suggest that anyone who wants shorter spools on the Ratio Tune-a-Leles, contact Graph Tech and ask them to do it.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    May I suggest that anyone who wants shorter spools on the Ratio Tune-a-Leles, contact Graph Tech and ask them to do it.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
    I bet that would raise the price to near Gotoh levels. That's something I'd almost try myself - cut the post and drill another hole. I said almost. : )
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Putting a spacer between the Ratio and the head stock would act to lower the post. If the spacer were shaped to match the base of the Ratio , it would be nearly invisible.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Martin T1K, Tenor
    Ko'olau C1, Concert

For that uke I personally would swim against the tide and get some Grovers for about $15. Yeah the snobs might bash the look, but it's an inexpensive HPL uke, albeit one with the name Martin on the headstock. The Grovers have small buttons, and I think they look fine. Plus they work great.

https://smile.amazon.com/Grover-9NB-.../dp/B003QFA808

Here is a pic of Ratio tuning machines on my Little Loprinzi Spanish Cypress/Sitka custom soprano. It originally came with Grover friction tuners. Mike McQueen of Uke Republic changed them out to Retros. I love the looks of them, and so far, they work great.

4F06BB27-0B64-4878-993E-60B0C68ABF3E.jpg

Tom
    TomtheBaptist

Quote Originally Posted by tomthebaptist View Post
    Here is a pic of Ratio tuning machines on my Little Loprinzi Spanish Cypress/Sitka custom soprano. It originally came with Grover friction tuners. Mike McQueen of Uke Republic changed them out to Retros. I love the looks of them, and so far, they work great.

4F06BB27-0B64-4878-993E-60B0C68ABF3E.jpg

Tom
    Looks great...that stripe doesn't hurt either!
    John

Thread Information