Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Ratios on a Martin

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    5,085

    Default Ratios on a Martin

    A friend has a Martin OX Bamboo, and would like geared tuners. Have any of you put Ratio tuners on a Martin? The reason I ask is the rather long length of the posts on the Ratios, and the thin headstock of the Martin. Yes, Gotoh tuners would be better, but at more than twice the price.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    A friend has a Martin OX Bamboo, and would like geared tuners. Have any of you put Ratio tuners on a Martin? The reason I ask is the rather long length of the posts on the Ratios, and the thin headstock of the Martin. Yes, Gotoh tuners would be better, but at more than twice the price.
    Might be ok 'cause the OXK has a thicker headstock than the S1. For example the S1 works with Gotoh UPT tuners while the OXK needs the longer UPTL tuners.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    5,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    Might be ok 'cause the OXK has a thicker headstock than the S1. For example the S1 works with Gotoh UPT tuners while the OXK needs the longer UPTL tuners.
    Ah, good point. I'll have to check the thickness.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Petaluma, CA
    Posts
    217

    Default

    I would like to find a planetary tuner that would fit the Pre WWII Martin Sopranos. The tuners from that era have problems of slippage or stiff turning when adjusted for slippage. The thickness of Martin heads is 10.5 or so mm. Gotahs won't work at that thickness. Replacing wooden peg with Pegheads works well, But they don't have a front collar to cover up the marks that are left on the heads of newer ones.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    169

    Default

    I have UPTs on my 1918? Style 2...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PetalumaRescuke View Post
    I would like to find a planetary tuner that would fit the Pre WWII Martin Sopranos. The tuners from that era have problems of slippage or stiff turning when adjusted for slippage. The thickness of Martin heads is 10.5 or so mm. Gotahs won't work at that thickness. Replacing wooden peg with Pegheads works well, But they don't have a front collar to cover up the marks that are left on the heads of newer ones.
    Dave, why wont UPTs work on a 10.5mm vintage Martin headstock? The HMS website says they work on 10-12mm headstocks. I've had on 2 vintage Martin sops, and they were fine.
    John

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    the wild west, Canada
    Posts
    525

    Default

    I cringed at the title as you'd be drilling screw holes into the headstock, but I could see them looking okay on an OX bamboo. Just not sure about the material. Definitely don't do it without pilot holes (if that's not already painfully obvious).
    Glenn

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    I cringed at the title as you'd be drilling screw holes into the headstock, but I could see them looking okay on an OX bamboo. Just not sure about the material. Definitely don't do it without pilot holes (if that's not already painfully obvious).
    One caveat, the OXK head stock wood is softer than it looks.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Petaluma, CA
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Dave, why wont UPTs work on a 10.5mm vintage Martin headstock? The HMS website says they work on 10-12mm headstocks. I've had on 2 vintage Martin sops, and they were fine.
    Thanks I thought that the GraphTech had too long of a post. I'll try them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PetalumaRescuke View Post
    Thanks I thought that the GraphTech had too long of a post. I'll try them.
    Dave, yes, the Graphtech Ratio tuners (they call them Tune-a-Lele http://www.pohakuukulele.com/store/p...rs-y4h2m-5979b ) do indeed have long posts, They work fine, but some may find the look of the long posts objectionable. On the other hand, Gotoh UPT tuners have shorter posts, and look great and work very well. Of course, the Gotohs cost almost 3x more. Pic of a Ratio below, compared to a standard Gotoh 9B or 9W.

    36.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 10-21-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    John

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •