Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Aroma of Ukulele

There has been also sweat (sometimes tears) and cheap labor behind our ukes, all the troubles people have when they are exploited.

The smells can be nice, but there are woods, I hope still for most of us where we can go and have a smell, sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBD View Post
    Actually, both POC and AYC are not cedars, they are closely related members of the cypress family. And their aroma is most prominent when freshly cut. The best quality of them is their stability vs. humidity changes. I need to bring some over here to Kauai, climate control is a big issue here.
    Brad
    That is interesting. Something that I do not remember ever being discussed here. It is always just solid woods are prone to cracking and laminates are not, a blanket statement with nothing in between. I'm going to have to research that a little more.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    There has been also sweat (sometimes tears) and cheap labor behind our ukes, all the troubles people have when they are exploited.

The smells can be nice, but there are woods, I hope still for most of us where we can go and have a smell, sigh.
    You don't know that people were exploited in the making of our ukes. That would depend on the brand and factory. Cheap labor in comparison to Europe or US doesn't necessarily mean exploitation wages as the cost of living is also a fraction of ours.

I know Martin often uses Spanish cedar (Cedrela odorata) linings in their guitars...maybe they use it in their ukes as well. It’s the same highly aromatic wood used to make cigar boxes. I used to have a Martin 000-17SM guitar that was so aromatic it would fill a room with that cigar box scent.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I thought my Cocobolos might smell like Cocoa. Nope! They smell like nothing.
    Jerry, send them all back! Something is up! My cocobolo smells distinctly like cocobolo. I don't know, maybe you should see your ENT Dr!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Jerry, send them all back! Something is up! My cocobolo smells distinctly like cocobolo. I don't know, maybe you should see your ENT Dr!
    Maybe I can buy some powdered cocobolo and put it in each one.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

one might also carry around a piece of Cedar (or any other desired aroma) and simply sniff that
    instead of 'creating a scene' by lifting one's uke to one's nose periodically.

just my 2 cents
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rod Higuchi View Post
    one might also carry around a piece of Cedar (or any other desired aroma) and simply sniff that
    instead of 'creating a scene' by lifting one's uke to one's nose periodically.

just my 2 cents
    I have some vintage ukes that still smell sweet after 90 odd years - and I don't have to embarrassingly lift them to my nose; as soon as I open the case I am enveloped in sweet aroma.
    One is a 20's Regal made mahogany "Glee Club" soprano in flamed mahogany, the other a Gibson tenor - mahogany back and sides and spruce top.
    Opening the case and getting that smell triggers a lovely strum session for me.
    There's something about old mahogany....

gleeclub-8.jpggleeclub-1.jpg

Thread Information