Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NUD: Cocobolo Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    The colors on their FB page are brighter and redder than what you will receive - just a matter of processing, I guess. The first picture below is how I shot and posted it (indoors w/flash). The second shot is the same picture re-processed, and the third one is from the Cocobolo Facebook page - same uke. The first picture shows what it actually looks like.

Attachment 122319 Attachment 122320 Attachment 122321
    My understanding is that if not fully sealed cocobolo will darken.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    Do they come with a satin finish? They look like they have a natural wood look/feel to them. About how often do the auctions come up?
    Yes, it has a satin finish. And red strings. That seems to be all they do. The lotteries have been coming up much more often lately - every two or three weeks. Maybe he's hired more people.

I'm glad they're not lotteries because the price would definitely go higher than I would like. Look at what happened with the Timms ukes.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Yes, it has a satin finish. And red strings. That seems to be all they do. The lotteries have been coming up much more often lately - every two or three weeks. Maybe he's hired more people.

I'm glad they're not lotteries because the price would definitely go higher than I would like. Look at what happened with the Timms ukes.
    Lotteries every 2-3 weeks is much more frequent than I expected! I figured it would be more like every 2-3 months. I think you meant to say auctions in the latter part of your post and I agree, an auction would most likely send the prices much higher than their asking prices now. I'm looking forward to their emails so I can see what to expect in the future. In the mean time it looks like I have a project and a goal to start selling off a bunch of my stuff to see if I can raise the funds to cover the cost. In my mind that's kind of like a trade and I wouldn't be spending money I haven't already spent. Right now I'm looking at a big box full of CD box sets I'd be willing to sell (mostly jazz), some which are out of print or getting hard to find. I could probably get $100+ on some of them but some would be hard to let go of. Out of sight, out of mind right? Maybe that's the mind set I'll need to take. Most of the other stuff is $10, $20, $30 range stuff but it adds up. Ugh, it's such a hassle to list a bunch of stuff to sell. Maybe I can plan on a spring '20 cocobolo if I haven't cooled off on one by then.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by keenonuke View Post
    My understanding is that if not fully sealed cocobolo will darken.
    That's fine with me. I don't want to mess around with the finish.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Congratulations Jerry!
    You can't go wrong with a Cocobolo Ukulele. I didn't realize that they had sped up the building process. I waited almost 4 months for mine, but it was a custom order, which they won't do anymore.
    I'd rather play my Cocobolo uke than anything else I've tried around here, even a MooreBettah, cause I was afraid of damaging it.
    The only thing that bothers me in the least is that the intonation isn't very good after the 7th fret. Most people can't hear it. Other than that, I'd say the uke is just perfect, for me. It plays itself, compared to anything else I've owned. (!5 others)
    Everybody that hears it loves it.
    I"ve lost count of the number of people here that bought one because of mine.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Everybody that hears it loves it.
    I"ve lost count of the number of people here that bought one because of mine.
    Pictures please!!
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

The colors on their FB page are brighter and redder than what you will receive - just a matter of processing, I guess. The first picture below is how I shot and posted it (indoors w/flash). The second shot is the same picture re-processed, and the third one is from the Cocobolo Facebook page - same uke. The first picture shows what it actually looks like.

Attachment 122319 Attachment 122320 Attachment 122321
    Nice job with the pics Jerry. I like the actual color on yours more.

I was also one of the lucky lottery winners who was able to buy a Cocobolo ukulele; in my case, a Cedar-topped, Cocobolo bodied Concert. I only saw a few made with this wood combination (most are all solid Coco top, back, sides, fretboard, headstock, etc., etc.) I have no regrets. I love the sound of the mellow cedar top that balances nicely against the bright cocobolo and it sounds great when fingerpicked (my preferred playing style).

Larry

• ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR"
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR (LOW "G")
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)
    • VTAB TS2401 SPRUCE/MAHOGANY CONCERT

@ Snargle and Jerry, those are both beauties!

That's a beauty!

Thread Information