NUD Romero Creations ST Concert Dan Ho (Laminate Mahogany)

jricc

Reaction score
I posted this in Uke reviews but thought I 'd add it here to Uke Talk.

I heard Dan Ho playing a ST Concert solid koa and I said to my wife, "thats what i want my next uke to sound like" she said, "well, order it". Then i saw the price and knew it was out of our budget. But I started looking at other versions, and came across the all laminated version and thought I could afford that, so I ordered it from Elderly Music.

I am really happy with this uke, it feels great, and sounds really good. Good sustain, and i love the low G. The laminate top is the thinnest laminate I have ever seen. You can feel the back vibrate against you. I changed out the Romero strings (which sounded good) to Aquila Super Nylguts and they add some needed midrange. The uke has good lows and highs but needs some midrange. Looking forward to trying some Worth Brown's. If i have one criticism, it seems the intonation is a bit off, the 12th fret fretted string is a bit sharp to the harmonic. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

I do recommend this uke it's a great deal at $269, it plays well and sure doesn't sound like a laminated instrument.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new Romero!
Some luthiers know how to alleviate bad intonation....you might try that, unless you want to send it back to Elderly for a replacement.
They used to charge a restocking fee, dunno if they still do.

Thanks! I figured I'd wait till the strings settle and then decide. It's just a hair off...

You can feel the back vibrate against you.

That's due to the three braces on the back—acts sorta like a secondary soundboard. Play a chord or note with the ST on you gut and immediately lift it off your gut and you'll hear the volume suddenly get louder.

Thanks for posting. I purchased the TT solid top, laminate body before the stopped making them. I am curious on sound the “thin” laminate produces and for traveling on airplane I guess ST concert is even smaller. I’m impressed with sounds of ST in both solid wood and the laminate. I play high g so would like to try that.

On intonation, I find different string not only can make any ukulele sound different, better or worse, I’d check the nut slots . Going from RC flurocarbon to Aquila which is a fatter string may need to be adjusted.

I’d like to try ST Concert in both solid and laminate. A year I with solid spruce top/ laminate version on the TT I find myself wanting a all solid, spruce/mahogany or perhaps. Koa version. I love the size and playability of these RC instruments.

I should try to play the ST concert just because but only own tenors. I got travel and do take various Pono tenors, and sometimes a Fluke tenor and now the TT solid top. I don’t find hauling even a full size tenor an issue.

Have fun and good luck. I think solvinght e intention should be fairly easy fix.
Cheers

Thanks for posting. I purchased the TT solid top, laminate body before the stopped making them. I am curious on sound the “thin” laminate produces and for traveling on airplane I guess ST concert is even smaller. I’m impressed with sounds of ST in both solid wood and the laminate. I play high g so would like to try that.

On intonation, I find different string not only can make any ukulele sound different, better or worse, I’d check the nut slots . Going from RC flurocarbon to Aquila which is a fatter string may need to be adjusted.

I’d like to try ST Concert in both solid and laminate. A year I with solid spruce top/ laminate version on the TT I find myself wanting a all solid, spruce/mahogany or perhaps. Koa version. I love the size and playability of these RC instruments.

I should try to play the ST concert just because but only own tenors. I got travel and do take various Pono tenors, and sometimes a Fluke tenor and now the TT solid top. I don’t find hauling even a full size tenor an issue.

Have fun and good luck. I think solvinght e intention should be fairly easy fix.
Cheers

Thanks! Solved the intonation with a string change and letting them settle. I have a solid spruce Ohana tenor that sounds good, but this laminate Romero sounds better.

Thanks! Solved the intonation with a string change and letting them settle. I have a solid spruce Ohana tenor that sounds good, but this laminate Romero sounds better.

What strings did you finally solve the intonation issue with?
Thanks

What is "all the extras" for $100 extra?

When I bought mine, the "package" was the only way it was available.
Not $100 worth of extras, but here goes:

High-quality Romero Creations® bag with storage pouch and adjustable shoulder strap, made by Access® Bags & Cases

Chord Chart (144 essential 'ukulele chords to play any song in any key, two-sided, laminated card)

Pepe Romero Strings® nylon set (optimized for soprano, concert, and tenor 'ukuleles and includes both high and low G strings)

Sheet music for Daniel's hit 'ukulele song "Pineapple Mango"

Daniel Ho signature 'ukulele strap, adjustable

Romero Creations® polishing cloth

Pineapple Mango sticker

Note that the nice gig bag (in Bold) comes with every version, so not really an extra.

Last edited:
What strings did you finally solve the intonation issue with?
Thanks

I wound up using the Aquila Nylgut strings and I dig them. They are nice and warm and the intonation is much better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom