Do you have a "style"?

Interesting to debate what style means in this context.

There are genres and sub genres that can be described as styles.
There are playing techniques that can be described as styles. Like Carter style, flat picking, strumming etc.

And then the is ones musical expression that can involve a number of techniques applied to a number of genres. And if that narrows down your repertoire and gives you a certain sound that differs from others, you can call that a style.

My reply was mostly based on the last one. My style may not be that defined, but I definately accept that some stuff is not my style.

Everything i play sounds the same, i practice different rhythms but once i start singing my brain automatically strums D-D-UUDU. Accompanied by deep, mournful very slightly flat singing.

I saw the Ramones one time, (a wild concert), and every song ended up at the same tempo, no matter what tempo they started at. They either sped up or slowed down to get to that one tempo. So, you might have a big career ahead of you, if you don't mind people leaping from the balcony into the crowd below as you play. :)

Interesting to debate what style means in this context.

There are genres and sub genres that can be described as styles.
There are playing techniques that can be described as styles. Like Carter style, flat picking, strumming etc.

And then the is ones musical expression that can involve a number of techniques applied to a number of genres. And if that narrows down your repertoire and gives you a certain sound that differs from others, you can call that a style.

My reply was mostly based on the last one. My style may not be that defined, but I definately accept that some stuff is not my style.

When I made the original post, I wasn't really thinking about all the ways that the word "style" can be used, but it does apply to all those.

I was thinking more in terms of your latter definition, but am happy to see the definition expanded, as it's all good.

I can't say that I have a distinctive style yet, (maybe never will, since this is just a hobby), but like you, it's obvious to me that some stuff isn't my style. I modify tabs when something doesn't fit me, (not just based on playing ability, though that, too), and feel like a style is developing, even if it's not a clear style yet.

I did think that your post was fun. And I really am going to try to find out what cow punk is, and what is sounds like. I might like it. :)

I was just mulling over my lack of vocabulary to define what I was trying to say. But, I played my ukulele for a bit, and decided it didn't matter if I've got the words or not. I'm having fun anyway. :)

I think this is cow punk.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2_gaK96ChH4

Check out Jason & The Scorchers for some authentic cowpunk. They pretty much defined the genre back in the 1980s.

Live concert

Opened with a Hank Williams song. :music:

P.S. I love that song by The Beat Farmers in the previous post. Might have to work it up on the old ukulele!

Last edited:
I'll check out Jason & the Scorchers, and did check out rlink's suggestion of the Beat Farmers, which led me into the YT rabbit hole. LOL. It's easy to have lots of time pass by without realizing it when diving into YT. :)

For some reason, I was dreaming about Shostakovich's music last night, so will have to spend some YT time there, too. Not Cow Punk, I'm sure, and I have no idea why that popped into my dreams. One of my dogs has very strong opinions about music, so maybe she was trying to give me a hint about what she wanted to listen to.

Top Bottom