Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a "style"?

Default Do you have a "style"?

When I started playing, I was delighted to be able to play anything, (still am), and worked on a hodgepodge of things.

I now have some things that are definite favorites to play/learn, and suspect that underlying that is that I'm developing a "style" of playing, vs. my hodgepodge. I play fingerstyle, but of course, within that designation, there is still a wide variety of styles. I can't yet quite define the style that I'm honing in on, (and expect it to potentially alter dependent on my abilities down the road), but I hadn't really consciously thought about having a particular "style" before. I just play for myself, so it's not necessary, but I guess I'm seeing it as a sign of developing as a player.

Do any of you have a conscious style of playing? How did it develop?

Fingerstyle is actually a technique and can be used to play many musical styles, e.g., blues, pop, country, jazz, classical, etc. Me, I leans towards hodgepodge and find it all good!

I think I have developed a style, in that I sound different from other players and people recognise a similarity across the songs I play.

That came from performing, first to small groups (in pubs), and then on stage to larger audiences. The style comes from a combination of:

a. The kinds of songs I like and choose to play, and

b. The choices I make about how to play them, which are informed by how audiences have reacted to each song.

The outcome of this organic process is what I think of as my style, which is different from a genre (like blues or country). When asked, I describe it as "Tin Pan Alley meets Western Swing", though I don't know whether an audience would agree!

The style of songs I play is very eclectic depending on which group Iím playing with. My main group chooses a theme each month. The theme can range from blues & jazz, country & folk, classic rock, swing, and contemporary. The kind of songs youíd find in the Jim Beloff yellow & blue books. On Sundays, I play contemporary Christian music at church. I gravitate towards 30s & 40s stuff, but whenever I hear something I like, Iíll go to Ultimate Guitar and find the chords. Most of my group play is basic is strumming, but I try to change things up with alternate fingerings & harmony. I really enjoy chord melody play and have been doing more of that. I think because Iím a so-so singer, chord melody is appealing, especially when I do an open mic at one of my groups.
    Last edited by RafterGirl; 10-22-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    Fingerstyle is actually a technique and can be used to play many musical styles, e.g., blues, pop, country, jazz, classical, etc. Me, I leans towards hodgepodge and find it all good!
    Right, but within fingerstyle, there are a variety of styles. Jake, Brittni, James Hill, Daniel Ho, Matt Dahlberg, Aldrine Guerrero, Kris Guchigami, and on and on will play the same song/piece of music differently because of different styles.

I know I wasn't clear in my initial post, but hopefully that helps clarify.

I'm not sure what you meant by style....

I tend to prefer to fingerpick chord melodies. Sometimes I use a thumb-finger style, and sometimes I use a two or three finger-thumb style. I have learned to do certain songs using just my thumb, especially Hawaiian songs, and even one song with just my forefinger.

Is that what you meant. Or am I crazy?
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Yes, I believe all musicians have a "style" or voice. One's voice comes from their personality, musical influences, what we experience (or want to experience) when we create music, among other things. Methods, techniques, chops, and fundamentals of playing help us express the voice.
    Soprano: KoAloha Opio Acacia
    Tenors: KoAloha KTM-00, aNueNue UT200 Moon Bird, Pono MGTP5-PC
    Baritone+: Pono UL4-30

The only style I have at the moment is my blue rinse hair do, but I'm working on my ukin' and hopefully I'll develop a style there as well...........given time
    Happy just to be a Newbie +, Penny

I suppose I have a style. I never ever play other people's music; I only play stuff I come up with. I usually use modes and modal progressions and harmonizations as well as ideas I have picked up through the blues. However I never play "the blues"; someone might say that I play blues-based music or even jazz, but I don't think I stick close enough to those traditions to warrant the label. I have heard people refer to American roots music and I think I fit better under the roots rubric.

I like a rhythmic strum, adapting songs to different styles of strumming. Country or rock songs, adapted to a blues or reggae style of strum, etc. Some songs probably have no business being played that way, according to the original, but that's what keeps music interesting & fun to me, and isn't that what it's all about?
    John

Thread Information