Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking Advice On The Squier Mini-Strat

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    ...in 1973, when I was 23 years old... Funny how, here at age 66...
    You sure about that? I was 23 in 1973, born September 1949, so I just turned 70, either you were 19 then, or 69 now.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Oh my gosh, my bad!! I was in fact just 19 back when I got that Strat in '73 !! Don't know where my mind was when I typed that earlier !!

First off Bill congratulations on your new “Strat”, how cool. Secondly.......where are the pictures!!!

You know the rules, no pictures and it didn’t happen. In all seriousness I would love to see pictures, you got me curious. Also, good on ya for rollin up yer sleeves and correcting the action
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Thank you so much, Dave! I'm going to try to attach a couple of quick photos here, just to give you an idea of how the Mini looks...
    IMG_20191031_204839.jpg
    IMG_20191031_204613.jpg

That's the newer model with the jack along the side of the body instead where the traditional jack is on the top next to the knob controls. I looked for one with the traditional jack.

Good observation, Mike. Actually, I'm a lefty who just takes a standard-strung guitar and flips it the other direction (without re-arranging the strings), so on my old Strat, the traditional jack (with the guitar cord plugged into it) was always competing with my left forearm for space, and it was somewhat of an annoyance for that reason (not Fender's fault, certainly!). So I kinda like the side-mounted jack on the Mini, because I can plug in a right-angled cord and it doesn't seem to get in the way of my forearm at all. I can certify that the side-mounted jack is very solid, too, at least so far!

Glad to hear you got your little geetar tuned right Bill.

And yeah those custom parts on Mike's bass look great.

I just picked up a gently used Squier Mini today. Just looked to good to pass up at fifty-six bucks.

I already have ideas about maybe converting it to an electric uke or tenor guitar, which I guess would be pretty much the same thing.

Mine has the old trapezoid tuners which haven't received great reviews. But I'm hoping for the best.

And then right after I bought it, I saw a Ibanez Gio Micro guitar for cheap(which seems to have better reviews).
    But I really love the look of the mini strat better. And it sounds way better than the Harmony baby strat to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The crew...Giannini Baritone Uke, Washburn Rover "4-string tenor guitar", Yamaha G-85A classical guitar.

In the works....LP style long scale wide neck solid body electric tenor guitar.

Wall hanger...The Loar Honey Creek type-A Mandolin.

Looks like a great value, Old and Slow! Those older tuners may not be the greatest, but many times they do just fine. Good luck with any projects you may undertake with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    Looks like a great value, Old and Slow! Those older tuners may not be the greatest, but many times they do just fine. Good luck with any projects you may undertake with it!
    Yeah Bill, I think I was subliminally persuaded to make the purchase after having recently read this thread and seeing pics of your guitar. Because the little red strat really had a hold on me.
    And I have you to thank for the inspiration.

I think the old style tuners will be alright. But I did happen upon a minor snafu when I took the jack out to tighten up the nut. The hot wire came loose so I'm gunna have to heat up the little soldering iron.

But I really love it and am anxious to convert it to a 4-string tenor to accommodate my fat fingeredness. Probably won't mess with the pickups since I don't have an audience and won't be making any recordings for profit.
    The crew...Giannini Baritone Uke, Washburn Rover "4-string tenor guitar", Yamaha G-85A classical guitar.

In the works....LP style long scale wide neck solid body electric tenor guitar.

Wall hanger...The Loar Honey Creek type-A Mandolin.

Thanks, Old and Slow, and best of luck on the wiring fix and the tenor conversion!

Thread Information