Hello from Rugby UK

Vvc

Reaction score
Hi, I have been reading posts and find the forum really helpful. I am learning a lot!

I bought my first ukulele in August. It is a Romero traditional shape concert. However, My arthritis makes some of the stretches a bit painful, so I‘ve also bought a soprano which is much easier on the fingers.

I am really enjoying learning to play this little instrument, especially fingerstyle and I am sure I will find more useful tips and advice from the forum.

My son and little granddaughter have also got the bug!

Hello Vyc, and a hearty welcome to UU, from the sunny West Midlands. Another soprano enthusiast here. It is the scale of discerning gentlefolk.:)

John Colter.

Welcome Vvc. Yep, this place is great for information and camaraderie.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Hi, I have been reading posts and find the forum really helpful. I am learning a lot!

I bought my first ukulele in August. It is a Romero traditional shape concert. However, My arthritis makes some of the stretches a bit painful, so I‘ve also bought a soprano which is much easier on the fingers.

I am really enjoying learning to play this little instrument, especially fingerstyle and I am sure I will find more useful tips and advice from the forum.

My son and little granddaughter have also got the bug!

Welcome to UU, with its friendly members and helpful advice it’s a great place to visit.

Ukulele playing can be a family thing and I hope that you enjoy the musical journey with the ‘junior’ generations .. best enjoyed when your expectations are moderate.

I too prefer the Soprano scale to other sizes, I love the compactness of the instrument and the easy reach for the chords. My own Sopranos have had the strings re-spaced to 30mm across them at the nut - that’s roughly the original width used on the best of the early twentieth century instruments - and that eases playing too.

Though I find the Soprano is best suited to playing chords whilst singing it does work for finger style too. Sam Muir and (the great late) John King demonstrate the Soprano’s finger picking versatility, but if you’re picking higher notes near the saddle end of the fretboard then you need a good quality instrument to get a strong sound there.

Romero make some lovely instruments. Whilst they’re beyond my own pocket I’m curious as to where you managed to buy one in the U.K. ?

If you can find one (ask here if you can’t) then I strongly recommend that you join a Ukulele Club. I’ve have sooo many hours of fun playing in such gatherings.

Last edited:
Welcome to UU, with its friendly members and helpful advice it’s a great place to visit.

Though I find the Soprano is best suited to playing chords whilst singing it does work for finger style too. Sam Muir and (the great late) John King demonstrate the Soprano’s finger picking versatility, but if you’re picking higher notes near the saddle end of the fretboard then you need a good quality instrument to get a strong sound there.

Romero make some lovely instruments. Whilst they’re beyond my own pocket I’m curious as to where you managed to buy one in the U.K. ?

If you can find one (ask here if you can’t) then I strongly recommend that you join a Ukulele Club. I’ve have sooo many hours of fun playing in such gatherings.

Hi Graham, I have a Rebel Double creme soprano. It is a 12 fret and has a lovely sound right up the neck. I didn’t get to try it before I bought it online, so I was lucky to get such a good soprano. I bought the Rebel and the Romero from Southern Ukulele Store based in Bournemouth. They have an excellent website and good range of ukuleles to suit all budgets. They do a lot of sound samples and have a YouTube site as well.

I will look at joining a club when I’m more confident at strumming.

Welcome from just down the road in Coventry! When you do feel ready to join a club, you're always welcome at the Earls of Uke in Coventry (and if you know which end to hold and which end to strum, you're more than good enough to join us!).

Hi Graham, I have a Rebel Double creme soprano. It is a 12 fret and has a lovely sound right up the neck. I didn’t get to try it before I bought it online, so I was lucky to get such a good soprano. I bought the Rebel and the Romero from Southern Ukulele Store based in Bournemouth. They have an excellent website and good range of ukuleles to suit all budgets. They do a lot of sound samples and have a YouTube site as well.

I will look at joining a club when I’m more confident at strumming.

Well those are rather fine instruments and somewhat more expensive than anything I play. I’m a bit puzzled, to me something seems not quite right, but if someone can afford and if the shop doesn’t pull them into over spending then why not? Anyway my advice to a beginner would be to buy a basic Kala Soprano (KA-S) to take to the Uke Club and any public spaces, they’re decent enough Ukes for those places and should the worst happen (pub theft or physical damage) you’ll not loose a lot of money. You’ll blend in with a cheaper instrument too.

Please don’t wait long to join a club. If you’re not confident in your playing then just go and listen. Good luck and enjoy, playing a Uke is amongst the best fun things I’ve ever done - it’s a blast and particularly so when playing with others.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your warm welcome. I will take your advice regarding Uke clubs probably in the new year.

Many thanks

Top Bottom