Enya Nova U talk got me thinking about Outdoor Ukes

jer, thank you so much for taking the time to post your experience. Yours the kind of detailed comparison that I was hoping to find. I listened to an online comparison of the two and I think the Flight sounds better, but IMO there is more to consider than just the sound (durability, build quality, price, etc.). Great to know that the bridge issue of the Flight has been corrected.
You're welcome. I know a lot of things come down to personal opinion, but I try to share what I can to help out. I thought of some more things to share.
You mentioned build quality. I've had my hands on 4 OU instruments (3 sopranos, one tenor) that were built well. I've only had hands on the one Flight, but that one was put together well too. It was my only uke for a short time and I was content with it at the time.
The tuning machines on the OU are better. The ones on the Flight did the job, but they're weren't as smooth or accurate.
The OU instruments all have a seam running around the instrument where the two halves are joined together. Some people don't like that. Sometimes dust and such can get in there. I used a business card running through it to clean it out if needed...or blow it out. I guess it could be dipped into water too. Ha. I did like the look of the Flight better...but that's another one of those personal opinion things.

Choirguy has a lot of experience with both instruments. Maybe he'll chime in if he sees this. I think he posted in this thread once already. He has video reviews on youtube, but I can't remember the links.

You're welcome. I know a lot of things come down to personal opinion, but I try to share what I can to help out. I thought of some more things to share.
You mentioned build quality. I've had my hands on 4 OU instruments (3 sopranos, one tenor) that were built well. I've only had hands on the one Flight, but that one was put together well too. It was my only uke for a short time and I was content with it at the time.
The tuning machines on the OU are better. The ones on the Flight did the job, but they're weren't as smooth or accurate.
The OU instruments all have a seam running around the instrument where the two halves are joined together. Some people don't like that. Sometimes dust and such can get in there. I used a business card running through it to clean it out if needed...or blow it out. I guess it could be dipped into water too. Ha. I did like the look of the Flight better...but that's another one of those personal opinion things.

Choirguy has a lot of experience with both instruments. Maybe he'll chime in if he sees this. I think he posted in this thread once already. He has video reviews on youtube, but I can't remember the links.

Thanks for the additional comments! I thought that I read somewhere that the tuners on the Flight were suboptimal, but I can't remember where I came across that (or if I was getting it confused with the bridge issue).

One of the Flights has what they advertise as a walnut top. It looks great in the photos, and looks like walnut. I don't see how they can do that for the price.

Your comments about the playability of the OU echo those of a YouTube review I saw. I would think that since the instrument is molded plastic it would guarantee consistent action.

Thanks for the additional comments! I thought that I read somewhere that the tuners on the Flight were suboptimal, but I can't remember where I came across that (or if I was getting it confused with the bridge issue).

One of the Flights has what they advertise as a walnut top. It looks great in the photos, and looks like walnut. I don't see how they can do that for the price.

Your comments about the playability of the OU echo those of a YouTube review I saw. I would think that since the instrument is molded plastic it would guarantee consistent action.
That would be a laminate walnut top. So only a very thin layer of actual walnut wood.
I noticed on Amazon right now the light blue Flight TUS35 is $32.67 . I'm not sure if that's the latest model with the adjustable bridge or not though...and of course prices change often there.
I didn't have any problems with the original bridge; it worked fine and was playable. I just would've preferred it be adjustable so I could get the action down a little more.

Last edited:
There's a fellow on Facebook who has opened a thread about Outdoor Ukuleles in the For the Love of the Uke Group. He was complaining about the intonation--particularly of the soprano--and his intent wasn't to get his money back, but to "spread the word" about the bad intonation of the Soprano.

So I checked mine. I have a tenor that I bought, and both a generation 1 & 2 soprano, each which was a gift from members of UU. Admittedly, the 1st generation is a collector's item for me more than a player (this was understood when I was sent it), and the 2nd generation has traveled with me a lot.

For the record, the fellow submitted a video of the Outdoor Ukulele Sopranos (both blue) that he was sent (they quickly sent him a replacement when he complained--so good customer service), and on his video recording, intonation at the 12th is a big mess.

And, as you can expect, a whole bunch of people have either jumped in to defend Outdoor Ukulele or to blast them. It seems the Outdoor Ukulele is definitely a love it or leave it ukulele.

On my own Outdoor Ukuleles, harmonics are dead on; there's a bit of sharpness as I play at the 12th fret (which could be me pressing too hard [likely] or old strings [also possible], and I guess I've learned that there is no such thing as a fretted instrument that is perfectly in tune. I included a bit of this on the podcast (both audio and video) that I released today. But I'll say that i have that same experience with just about every other ukulele that I own, even the ones from very famous/respected dealers that include setup.

I just don't know how a molded instrument (polycarbonate at that) can result in different intonation across the same model...the measurements are exactly the same.

I rate the Outdoor Soprano as one of the highest ratings that I've given on my YouTube channel/blog--and I'd hate to recommend it to others to find that it is unplayable due to intonation issues.

Booli used to talk about intonation; it's a shame he's not here very often (I check in every other day or so, and comment even less frequently, so I'm not pointing fingers).

In the other camp, I have been in touch with Enya, and they have been very wonderful to talk to. I've shared my very limited concerns about the Nova--and asked if they have stress tested one. I also asked if they had a defective model, if I could bring it to school and replicate some "accidents." I have had a room full of Mahalo, Caramel, Waterman, and Outdoor Ukuleles. I know how all of them react to being dropped and abused by students. Outdoor Ukuleles were GREAT for schools (they offer schools about a 40% discount in sets of 15 or more) because of the great action, wonderful neck profile, and softer [yet percussive] sound. When you have 60 ukuleles going at once in a classroom...you don't need loud instruments.

I've done a few tests (drops & heat) on the Enya Nova I was sent (the defect is so minor it is ridiculous...Enya's tolerance for blemishes has to be at an industry low (or high?). So far, my only knock on the Enya for a classroom instrument is that it might be too loud!

I'm making some videos and will try to remember to post my full review of the Enya here when it is done (I recently remade reviews of the Outdoor Ukuleles and the Flight TUS 35). I had a review ready, but the crash test ukulele will make an interesting addition to my review...and will likely impact my final score for the ukuleles.

...... they quickly sent him a replacement when he complained--so good customer service......

...... I guess I've learned that there is no such thing as a fretted instrument that is perfectly in tune. I included a bit of this on the podcast (both audio and video) that I released today. But I'll say that i have that same experience with just about every other ukulele that I own, even the ones from very famous/respected dealers that include setup......

......I just don't know how a molded instrument (polycarbonate at that) can result in different intonation across the same model...the measurements are exactly the same......

......I rate the Outdoor Soprano as one of the highest ratings that I've given on my YouTube channel/blog--and I'd hate to recommend it to others to find that it is unplayable due to intonation issues......

......Enya's tolerance for blemishes has to be at an industry low (or high?)......

Lots of pearls in that post. Thank you for weighing in!

I got to try an Outdoor soprano yesterday and was a lot more impressed than I expected to be. Definitely the best sounding all-plastic uke I've played--not that that's a very high bar, but I'd definitely consider one. Attractive, too, and a decent neck.

Top Bottom