Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: Enya Nova U talk got me thinking about Outdoor Ukes

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rod Higuchi View Post
    OK, ready for the 'end' of my story?
    Thanks for posting your thoughts! Do you have any experience with the Flight TUS and, if so, how do you think the OU Soprano compares?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftsailor98 View Post
    Should I go for it?
    Answered my own question:

    Moment of UAS weakness. I ordered the blue soprano with strap buttons and the really cool moose-with-a-uke sticker.
    Adam

    C.F. Martin (C1K) All Solid Koa Concert - Custom Seaguar Set (STS Salmon + Premier)
    C.F. Martin (S1) All Solid Mahogany Soprano - Martin M600 Clear Fluorocarbon Soprano/Concert
    Kremona Coco All Solid Cedar / Indian Rosewood - Uke Logic Hard Tension High G in Sandia Pink
    Outdoor Blue Nickel Soprano - Martin M600 Clear Fluorocarbon Soprano/Concert
    Kala (KA-SPMT-TRI) All Solid Spruce / Pau Ferro / Mango Tenor - Worth Brown Tenor + Fremont Soloist Low G
    Kala (KA-SWG-BL) Glow-in-the-Dark Aqua Matte Waterman Soprano - Martin M600 Clear Fluorocarbon Soprano/Concert

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Twin Cities Area, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,120

    Default

    Did you see the extremely limited run of solid color Outdoor Ukuleles that was listed and sold out today? Outdoor says the color goes all the way through, unlike the coating on the Enya models.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

    My ukulele YouTube channels:

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,240

    Default

    Wow, Choirguy, I must have slept through that one

    How do you keep up with all these things?

    I've been enjoying your reviews of the Outdoor Ukuleles and I also appreciate
    your support of Bernadette

    Hope to meet you someday!

    keep uke'in',
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

    MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,240

    Default

    tm3, I'll have to defer to those who have had experience with both ukes.

    I have read or heard of some issues with the brittle nature of the ABS that
    Flight uses (or used to use?), where the bridge has been shattered or broken
    during shipping (I believe). If true, I really don't see that happening with the
    Outdoor ukuleles due to their robust construction and the nature of their
    materials (polycarbonate).

    I wouldn't doubt that the ABS models may sound 'nicer' than the Polycarbonate OU
    models (particularly the sopranos), but what the OU soprano may lack in sound
    quality and volume, it more than makes up in sturdiness and peace of mind, in my
    opinion

    I do find my Green Soprano lacking in volume, especially when compared with other
    of my ukes (when I play one then another) but by itself it's loud enough for me to
    enjoy the experience and to feel that even in a group I wouldn't be imposing my
    music on others close by.

    Hope this helps.

    PS did you download your Holiday Songbook from the ( ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com )
    site yet? It's FREE!
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

    MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    190

    Default

    I ordered lots of extra stickers w/ mine last year... I like the soft cases they currently carry too.
    https://www.outdoorukulele.com/collections/accessories

    I really like the artwork of the sticker designer. http://www.meganmariemyers.com/
    A0C81631-7171-4187-AF0E-75B90AAB5536.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftsailor98 View Post
    Answered my own question:

    Moment of UAS weakness. I ordered the blue soprano with strap buttons and the really cool moose-with-a-uke sticker.
    keeping an eye out for a very special pre-owned concert....

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,240

    Default

    Yup, they gotta start selling those pictures on T-shirts and sweatshirts!

    they are wonderful and whimsical artwork, in my opinion.

    I'd get some clothing items
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

    MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rod Higuchi View Post
    tm3, I'll have to defer to those who have had experience with both ukes.

    I have read or heard of some issues with the brittle nature of the ABS that
    Flight uses (or used to use?), where the bridge has been shattered or broken
    during shipping (I believe). If true, I really don't see that happening with the
    Outdoor ukuleles due to their robust construction and the nature of their
    materials (polycarbonate).

    I wouldn't doubt that the ABS models may sound 'nicer' than the Polycarbonate OU
    models (particularly the sopranos), but what the OU soprano may lack in sound
    quality and volume, it more than makes up in sturdiness and peace of mind, in my
    opinion

    I do find my Green Soprano lacking in volume, especially when compared with other
    of my ukes (when I play one then another) but by itself it's loud enough for me to
    enjoy the experience and to feel that even in a group I wouldn't be imposing my
    music on others close by.

    Hope this helps.

    PS did you download your Holiday Songbook from the ( ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com )
    site yet? It's FREE!
    Thanks for taking time to comment! You have great "ukulele cred" with me since I find Boot Camp so helpful thus your opinion matters.

    I'll take a look at the song book. My group has just started talking about holiday tunes.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
    Thanks for posting your thoughts! Do you have any experience with the Flight TUS and, if so, how do you think the OU Soprano compares?
    Hi tm3. I have owned both, but not at the same time.
    I think first it's important to note that Flight made a change to the TUS. They now come with a different bridge that has a removable saddle. This is a fairly recent development seems like and there are still some out there with the first bridge that had a compensated, but non-removable saddle molded into the bridge.
    My experience is with that Flight TUS with the molded in saddle.
    I would say the OU is more durable for sure. If you need something to survive extremes the best then it's that or a Enya Nova (my favorite of the bunch)....due to the way they're made and the materials they are made of. The Flight will be more durable than a wooden instrument still, but the ABS and laminate wood in it is not going to compare with the OU for durability.
    The setup on the OU from the factory is definitely better than the Flight if you like low action at the nut and saddle and an easy player. The new Flight with the removable saddle would allow the action to be adjusted down. Mine was playable as-is, so I don't mean to say the setup was bad. It's just not as low as OU.
    As far as sound goes, it's going to come down to personal preference. I'm pretty sure the Flight was at least a bit louder and more warm sounding, not as percussive..but could get a bit too boomy and fall apart if you dig in..like a Magic Fluke product. To me the sound really falls apart at higher volumes with those. I don't play that hard though, so not as much of an issue for me.
    I personally like the sound of both the Flight and the OU. I'm not sure how the frets would hold up over time..but it just seems like the OU should hold better due to materials. I could be wrong. Of course you have to consider that the OU is more than twice the price of the Flight...yet I think the current OU price is justified. I think they're both good products and I like them both. If price was no issue, and those two were my only choices I'd go with OU personally.
    Last edited by jer; 11-01-2019 at 09:35 AM.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    Hi tm3. I have owned both, but not at the same time.
    jer, thank you so much for taking the time to post your experience. Yours is the kind of detailed comparison that I was hoping to find. I listened to an online comparison of the two and I think the Flight sounds better, but IMO there is more to consider than just the sound (durability, build quality, price, etc.). Great to know that the bridge issue of the Flight has been corrected.
    Last edited by tm3; 11-02-2019 at 07:07 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •