Enya Nova U talk got me thinking about Outdoor Ukes

Ohhh the UAS....survives....

I've thought on the outdoor uke alot.....I've a Spruce top Fluke concert and that's my travel outdoor not worry about as much uke but I still don't leave in the car for very long and humidify in the house Oct through April......if OU had a concert I would have likely bought long ago......but with a tenor I suppose I'd have a better canoe paddle for those wet trips...I've watched and read some of Enya reveiws.......it's purely my own bias but I wound't buy one.....

I've thought on the outdoor uke alot.....I've a Spruce top Fluke concert and that's my travel outdoor not worry about as much uke but I still don't leave in the car for very long and humidify in the house Oct through April......if OU had a concert I would have likely bought long ago......but with a tenor I suppose I'd have a better canoe paddle for those wet trips...I've watched and read some of Enya reveiws.......it's purely my own bias but I wound't buy one.....

I’d like to know your bias. I just recorded a lengthy review and a new development (good thing, to be announced later) today has caused me to hold and eventually record again.

Is it a “buy USA” bias (which is fair) or something else?

What I will say is that the Enya doesn’t copy the Outdoor in anything other than the choice of material. I still love my Outdoor Ukuleles...but they absolutely were patterned directly from a very popular custom ukulele manufacturer’s build dimensions.

...if OU had a concert I would have likely bought long ago... ...I've watched and read some of Enya reveiws.......it's purely my own bias but I wound't buy one.....

Just don't like the look and style. I know pretty shallow bias, each to their own.

mjh42, I'll second your thought--it's not just your own bias. I've gravitated toward the concert scale as my most comfortable and most enjoyable. So, I was intrigued with the Enya, but the aesthetics have really held me back--I'm a sucker for the traditional shape.

To the rest of you, thank you for this running conversation--I'm following it attentively. It's given me some serious UAS pangs. I've went as far as to add an OU soprano and strap buttons into the cart on the outdoor website, but I haven't pulled the trigger.

I'm thinking about the convenience of a 'car uke' or a 'walk-by-and-pick-up uke' at the house. Yes, I have the Kala Waterman, but it leaves me with a "mehh" feeling when I've had it out at pool parties and other wet environments where I wouldn't take my other ukes.

Should I go for it?

one thing right off the bat... where the neck ends above the nut, the 'wing' of the headstock interferes with my
chording in the first 2 frets. and as a singer/strummer who lives mostly with first position chords, it's a bit
uncomfortable for me.

I'm going to try a tenor, even though a concert is my preferred size, to see if it will give me more room to form
those chords at the first 2 frets :) Wish me luck!

the uke itself is beautiful and well put together. it feels very solid, tunes easily and plays/sounds pretty good.
it's a nice size and weight and except for the cramped feeling at the top of the fretboard, the playing
experience is pretty nice... all things considered.

it is not a wooden uke, doesn't sound like a wooden uke, but it doesn't sound bad or unusual. It is what it is
and it is a fine instrument.

if the tenor size works out, I may let this soprano go... but I'm getting ahead of myself here. I've only had
it around 24 hours after all :) Not ditching the Outdoor Ukulele, just thinking about changing sizes :)

keep uke'in',

I had the same issue with the headstock. I ended up returning my OU. I thought it was really well built otherwise. String spacing was tight for my preferences too. I also really wish all ukes would come with side fret markers, but that's something that can be added. I really like the green in some photos, but the website shows it as a brighter green than I was thinking, so went for the brown.

The Enya is appealing as it would also tick off my interest in having a thin body concert, but I've got exactly zero need of a plastic uke. :rolleyes:

Uncle Rod -

I got an Enya for a specific purpose. I'm headed down the Colorado on a rafting trip in 2020 and wanted to take a uke. The great price pushed me over the line. I haven't played it that much, and probably won't, given my stable, but I did not hesitate much to spend $80.

Wow, great content! Thanks everyone!

it's such a personal 'thing' that we can only share our own 'bias'(plural) on the matter.

Having had the Soprano in hand for a couple of days... I'm finding I'm liking it more and
more. However, the discomfort with the headstock corner nearest the nut is still an issue.
At the very least I think I will void my warranty and sand down the corner to round it out
a bit. I'm also thinking of sanding/filing the end of the nut as it presents another sharp
corner for chord forming.

I tend to pivot on my thumb when I form G7, Fdim, etc and that brings the base of my
index finger into contact with the 'offending' corner. Perhaps my fingers are shorter so
that I do not have as much clearance as others, or by not choosing to use a strap, the
way I hold my ukes force me to make contact with the headstock in ways that those using
straps don't.

Anyway, for me and the way I hold and play ukes, it becomes a matter of concern/comfort.

The Enya Nova U's shape doesn't appeal to me, especially the cutout on the upper bout. I
like the side personal sound port, and the general size looks nice. it's just the cutout :(
I like the fact that it's a Concert size/scale. Tenor is just a bit too long for my comfort.

more to come :)

speaking of tenor size, Wukulele loaned me a moonshine OU tenor (thanks Wukulele :) ) so I could
play it and compare it with the OU soprano. I need to put a strap on the tenor to help with holding
it up for easier chord forming and playing, but initially I'm finding the tenor quite a bit heavier and
obviously, bigger.
I have played tenors in the past before settling on Sopranos and esp the Concert-scale models, but
somehow the extra 2-4 frets feel like they are stretching my fingers uncomfortably. I'm sure if I only
had a tenor I'd get used to it, but for now, since I mostly play true sopranos or Concert-scale longnecks,
I find the tenor scale uncomfortable. But that's just me, OK?

Well I seem to be one of the few people to ever have an issue with an Enya uke (the neck warped), but they sent me a new one so I can't complain. And while I won't be buying an Enya Nova - since I only play tenors - I will be first in line if they make a tenor size. As for the headstock crowding issue, heck at that price I wouldn't hesitate to take a rasp to the thing if necessary to improve comfort. I just learned that the saddle is removable too, which is a real plus should you wish to adjust the action.

OK, ready for the 'end' of my story?

As PeteyMack would say, 'Long story longer...'

I like the Outdoor Ukulele Brand and Products!
Not perfect in all points, but very good ukes and wonderfully designed for their stated purpose!
[PS they need to get some of their cartoons/figures onto T-shirts and Sweatshirts... but I digress]

I favor the soprano size having compared it with their tenor model. Nothing wrong with the tenor
just not my size for now :)
I love the green color... and the blue looks very nice as well.
Not sure if I will be able to lead a larger, louder song circle with it, but for personal use it is great!
I would love a concert scale, but I will have to wait for that. (or possibly go with other options).

I'm finding that I want a gig bag for protection... not the uke, the strings and tuners :)
The uke is very sturdy and weather resistant, but the strings can be affected by the heat and cold.
The tuners, of course, if exposed to moisture, can develop rust.

OK, for the 'end' - I like the Outdoor Ukulele Soprano uke I received a few days ago from OU, Bend, OR.
I hope your experience with any uke you purchase from Outdoor Ukulele is as wonderful as mine is...
and judging from the reports from many YouTube reviewers, you will be in some great company indeed :)

keep uke'in',

PS Thanks again Wukulele! :)

Did you see the extremely limited run of solid color Outdoor Ukuleles that was listed and sold out today? Outdoor says the color goes all the way through, unlike the coating on the Enya models.

Wow, Choirguy, I must have slept through that one :(

How do you keep up with all these things? :)

I've been enjoying your reviews of the Outdoor Ukuleles and I also appreciate
your support of Bernadette :)

Hope to meet you someday! :)

keep uke'in',

tm3, I'll have to defer to those who have had experience with both ukes.

I have read or heard of some issues with the brittle nature of the ABS that
Flight uses (or used to use?), where the bridge has been shattered or broken
during shipping (I believe). If true, I really don't see that happening with the
Outdoor ukuleles due to their robust construction and the nature of their
materials (polycarbonate).

I wouldn't doubt that the ABS models may sound 'nicer' than the Polycarbonate OU
models (particularly the sopranos), but what the OU soprano may lack in sound
quality and volume, it more than makes up in sturdiness and peace of mind, in my
opinion :)

I do find my Green Soprano lacking in volume, especially when compared with other
of my ukes (when I play one then another) but by itself it's loud enough for me to
enjoy the experience and to feel that even in a group I wouldn't be imposing my
music on others close by.

Hope this helps.

PS did you download your Holiday Songbook from the ( ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com )
site yet? It's FREE!

Yup, they gotta start selling those pictures on T-shirts and sweatshirts!

they are wonderful and whimsical artwork, in my opinion.

I'd get some clothing items :)

tm3, I'll have to defer to those who have had experience with both ukes.

I have read or heard of some issues with the brittle nature of the ABS that
Flight uses (or used to use?), where the bridge has been shattered or broken
during shipping (I believe). If true, I really don't see that happening with the
Outdoor ukuleles due to their robust construction and the nature of their
materials (polycarbonate).

I wouldn't doubt that the ABS models may sound 'nicer' than the Polycarbonate OU
models (particularly the sopranos), but what the OU soprano may lack in sound
quality and volume, it more than makes up in sturdiness and peace of mind, in my
opinion :)

I do find my Green Soprano lacking in volume, especially when compared with other
of my ukes (when I play one then another) but by itself it's loud enough for me to
enjoy the experience and to feel that even in a group I wouldn't be imposing my
music on others close by.

Hope this helps.

PS did you download your Holiday Songbook from the ( ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com )
site yet? It's FREE!

Thanks for taking time to comment! You have great "ukulele cred" with me since I find Boot Camp so helpful thus your opinion matters.

I'll take a look at the song book. My group has just started talking about holiday tunes.

Thanks for posting your thoughts! Do you have any experience with the Flight TUS and, if so, how do you think the OU Soprano compares?
Hi tm3. I have owned both, but not at the same time.
I think first it's important to note that Flight made a change to the TUS. They now come with a different bridge that has a removable saddle. This is a fairly recent development seems like and there are still some out there with the first bridge that had a compensated, but non-removable saddle molded into the bridge.
My experience is with that Flight TUS with the molded in saddle.
I would say the OU is more durable for sure. If you need something to survive extremes the best then it's that or a Enya Nova (my favorite of the bunch)....due to the way they're made and the materials they are made of. The Flight will be more durable than a wooden instrument still, but the ABS and laminate wood in it is not going to compare with the OU for durability.
The setup on the OU from the factory is definitely better than the Flight if you like low action at the nut and saddle and an easy player. The new Flight with the removable saddle would allow the action to be adjusted down. Mine was playable as-is, so I don't mean to say the setup was bad. It's just not as low as OU.
As far as sound goes, it's going to come down to personal preference. I'm pretty sure the Flight was at least a bit louder and more warm sounding, not as percussive..but could get a bit too boomy and fall apart if you dig in..like a Magic Fluke product. To me the sound really falls apart at higher volumes with those. I don't play that hard though, so not as much of an issue for me.
I personally like the sound of both the Flight and the OU. I'm not sure how the frets would hold up over time..but it just seems like the OU should hold better due to materials. I could be wrong. Of course you have to consider that the OU is more than twice the price of the Flight...yet I think the current OU price is justified. I think they're both good products and I like them both. If price was no issue, and those two were my only choices I'd go with OU personally.

Last edited:
Hi tm3. I have owned both, but not at the same time.

jer, thank you so much for taking the time to post your experience. Yours is the kind of detailed comparison that I was hoping to find. I listened to an online comparison of the two and I think the Flight sounds better, but IMO there is more to consider than just the sound (durability, build quality, price, etc.). Great to know that the bridge issue of the Flight has been corrected.

Last edited:
Top Bottom