Enya Nova U talk got me thinking about Outdoor Ukes

Uncle Rod Higuchi

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has posted recently about the Enya Nova U.
It is an intriguing instrument... and the right size (Concert)... however, all the talk about the Nova U got me thinking about the Outdoor Ukulele 2.0 :)
I had one of the 1.0 original models with the plastic friction tuners and unfortunately did not have a good experience with it at the time. I sold it... but it has remained on the back of my mind since then.

Well, even though the offerings are only Soprano and Tenor, at this time and for the foreseeable future, I did order a 'bottle green' Soprano and am anxiously awaiting its arrival :)

There's not much I could share with all of you that would justify my getting another ukulele, even this one, but hey, you guys know how it is and how it can be when something gets in your mind and just stays there!

Want my rationalizations?
... it's only $115, free shipping!
... I 'need' a sturdy 'plastic' uke
... it's such a unique build, even in the 'plastic' category
... it still sounds great... for a plastic uke
... hey, I'll be supporting 'Made in USA'
... I know it's not a Concert, but....
... I could take it anywhere... if I wanted to
... I live in Seattle, need I say more?
... etc.

I know, it's not convincing, but I'm old enough to be an adult so I should be able to make my own decisions... right?!

You get the picture! Oh that internal mental battle with UAS. Will we ever win?

keep uke'in', (and pray for me!)

Thanks to everyone who has posted recently about the Enya Nova U.
It is an intriguing instrument... and the right size (Concert)... however, all the talk about the Nova U got me thinking about the Outdoor Ukulele 2.0 :)
I had one of the 1.0 original models with the plastic friction tuners and unfortunately did not have a good experience with it at the time. I sold it... but it has remained on the back of my mind since then.

Well, even though the offerings are only Soprano and Tenor, at this time and for the foreseeable future, I did order a 'bottle green' Soprano and am anxiously awaiting its arrival :)

There's not much I could share with all of you that would justify my getting another ukulele, even this one, but hey, you guys know how it is and how it can be when something gets in your mind and just stays there!

... etc.

I know, it's not convincing, but I'm old enough to be an adult so I should be able to make my own decisions... right?!

I can try to help:

... You are a frugal man with a keen eye to recognizing a bargain and value.
... You are a practical individual who understands the uncertainties of life events.
... It's really different than the majority of other instruments out there.
... It really does sound great.
... As an American, I appreciate you supporting "made in the USA"
... Concert and Soprano are not that different.
... Now that you bought this, you should take it anywhere, but even if you don't, that's o.k.
... Getting a new uke is cheaper than the expenses of moving to another climate.

How did I do? (Now, I think I need an Outdoor uke).

I like to keep it simple......”it’s a ukulele so I need to buy it” :shaka:

From Bend OR to you, it'll arrive quickly. Bottle Green is very fitting for its destination.
UAS is something to just go with the flow on... no prayers nor winning "over" it (nor rationalizations) needed.

If you start wondering about the "newer" OU tenors, you can long-term borrow mine (Moonshine) :cool:

Someone please let me know if they start making them in purple again (or if there's a purple soprano for sale)... I'll make it a point to learn Prince songs...

... etc.

I might steal this quote... w/ attribution of course.

I like to keep it simple......”it’s a ukulele so I need to buy it” :shaka:

Those are nice instruments, Rod. I actually preferred the soprano to the tenor and have had both. I liked the sound a bit better.
I also really like the Nova U from Enya (sort of between concert and tenor and roughly 15.75" scale) that you mentioned. Honestly, I think they're all great products. I hope you're very happy with it! My tenor was the green color and I liked it. It looked really dark in low light, but quite a bit brighter in higher light. It is on loan to a family member.

It seems like OU could sell more concert scale instruments than the banjo and the new guitar they're making combined...The latter two are a niche market within a niche market. They seem to enjoy the design and do what they want to do though, which is fine. Now if they release a concert they have to compete with the Nova. I really think all of them are worth the asking price.

Here is some more justification for you, since you haven't gotten enough already here. :p haha. Like my Dad always says: Might as well enjoy your money some, you can't take it with you!

Last edited:
Thanks Wukulele, I might take you up on that long-term loan offer :)
I'm still dreaming about the Tenor even though I mostly play Concert and Soprano.

I've been watching the Outdoor Ukulele Reviews again with special attention to the
relative size of the Soprano and Tenor against the bodies of the reviewers. the Tenor
does look quite a bit larger, but they also seem to sound 'fuller' and possibly more
mellow, which I like.

Please continue to share your Outdoor Ukulele experiences... good or not so good.

Do we need a UU OU Club? Just kidding... or am I :)

keep (Outdoor) uke'in',

I heard that the slogan of the Bend, OR Chamber of Commerce is "Get Bent". Is that true? :D

But seriously, I've had the V1 soprano and tenor versions of the OU. V1 had some issues, tenor was nice. They really should make a concert. I hope to try their updated soprano, nothing more bulletproof for leaving in cars, boats, anywhere!

Thanks for all the positive encouragement... I think :)

Anyway, looks like it will be here on Monday. Wow a whole weekend anxiously awaiting the OU Green Soprano!
Will I make it? Only time will tell :)

OK, back to the ukes I have readily available to me.

Everyone, enjoy your weekend...

and Go Hawks! :)

Incidentally, I gave a couple of ukulele sessions this week at the Wisconsin Music Education Conference and mentioned the ‘Ukulele Boot Camp. I wonder if any of the attendees will look it up...

I’m getting ready to review the Enya U. I’m liking it better than the Outdoors that I own, which is based on a few factors. I’m not selling my Outdoor Ukuleles...but I am reaching for the Nova.

The styling may be the one thing that drives traditionalists away...but are traditionalists going to buy a polycarbonate ukulele in the first place?

Great! I've enjoyed your Reviews a lot!
thanks for doing them and covering so many bases and making
your yellow guides available.

Well, you got your polycarbonate Concert! can't wait to view your
review!

PS Everybody, please click on the ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com link
for a 64 page Holiday Songbook pdf link :)

Thanks again, Choirguy! For mentioning the Boot Camp materials :)

Please post your impressions when you get it. I'm considering the exact same model (green soprano) as a gift.

Thanks!

I have an Enya Nova and also an Outdoor carbon soprano. I like them both. To me it seems the Enya has better sound and the Outdoor appears to be more rugged for going outside and really roughing it.

I love having a burly, durable, waterproof, zero-maintenance uke. The dimensions are essentially that of any "normal" tenor. Slightly heavier & more mellow sounding.

TBH, (to be honest), something I've thought about w/ the Outdoor U tenor is how to go about making a sound hole on the upper bout that faces the player, so I can hear more of it. I've spent brief moments here & there imagining what kind of bit or attachment to put on a drill & what speed would be best (think birdhouses). When I did play it more often, I sometimes try to face a wall so more sound would bounce back to me. It's been a good low-G tenor, another uke to have different strings on, another neck to compare with others.

Eventually gravitated towards concerts... the concert Waterman & Magic Fluke Flea live on the back of the couch. Since they're smaller, there's more flexibility in how they are held so that more sound makes it to my ear...

Thanks Wukulele, I might take you up on that long-term loan offer :)
I'm still dreaming about the Tenor even though I mostly play Concert and Soprano.

I've been watching the Outdoor Ukulele Reviews again with special attention to the
relative size of the Soprano and Tenor against the bodies of the reviewers. the Tenor
does look quite a bit larger, but they also seem to sound 'fuller' and possibly more
mellow, which I like.

Please continue to share your Outdoor Ukulele experiences... good or not so good.

Do we need a UU OU Club? Just kidding... or am I :)

keep (Outdoor) uke'in',

...how to go about making a sound hole on the upper bout that faces the player, so I can hear more of it...

I've thought about that, too. I wouldn't do it to a really good uke, though. I would draw the hole, based on other upper sound holes, but slightly smaller. It's a lot easier to make the hole larger, but you can't make it smaller. Drill a lot of small holes around the circumference of your circle. Then cut between the holes. Finish up with a file and sandpaper. Wooden ukes have bracing around the inside of holes, but I don't know about plastic. For your purposes, I think you could do without bracing.

I believe I heard or read somewhere about a particular 'plastics' (vs wood or metal) drill bit
that was recommended with regard to drilling holes in the Outdoor Ukulele polycarbonate body.

I think it had to do with drilling holes in the bottom of the lower bout to string some cord
as a connection for a shoulder strap.

I hope I'm reporting this correctly.

keep uke'in',

PS still anxiously awaiting USPS to deliver the bottle green OU Soprano ... today :)

USPS came through!

just got my Green Soprano Outdoor Ukulele! Yay!
However, I am at work for another 3+ hours, so I won't
(should not) look or play with it until after I'm done.... :)

I sent an email to OU thanking them and suggesting that
we need T-shirts and Hooded Sweatshirts with the cartoon
on the outside of their cardboard boxes!

Looking forward to spending some time with this new Uke!
I suppose it is a 'NUD' for me :)

will let you know how we get along!

keep uke'in',

one thing right off the bat... where the neck ends above the nut, the 'wing' of the headstock interferes with my
chording in the first 2 frets. and as a singer/strummer who lives mostly with first position chords, it's a bit
uncomfortable for me.

I'm going to try a tenor, even though a concert is my preferred size, to see if it will give me more room to form
those chords at the first 2 frets :) Wish me luck!

the uke itself is beautiful and well put together. it feels very solid, tunes easily and plays/sounds pretty good.
it's a nice size and weight and except for the cramped feeling at the top of the fretboard, the playing
experience is pretty nice... all things considered.

it is not a wooden uke, doesn't sound like a wooden uke, but it doesn't sound bad or unusual. It is what it is
and it is a fine instrument.

if the tenor size works out, I may let this soprano go... but I'm getting ahead of myself here. I've only had
it around 24 hours after all :) Not ditching the Outdoor Ukulele, just thinking about changing sizes :)

keep uke'in',

one thing right off the bat... where the neck ends above the nut, the 'wing' of the headstock interferes with my
chording in the first 2 frets. and as a singer/strummer who lives mostly with first position chords, it's a bit
uncomfortable for me.

Interesting comment about the heastock "wings". That was my main complaint about the Deering Banjo Uke when I tried it, which surprised me because I had never had that happen before with a uke. But having had it happen it's now something I sort of look for when trying out a uke.

Curious as to which chords are giving you problems with the headstock?

Top Bottom