Anyone Know of a Mucus-Clearing Throat Spray or Gargle?

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have year-round allergies and drainage. Sometimes it's more severe than others. I've tried nasal sprays, steam, gargles, etc that help, but don't really clear the mucus from coating my throat and vocal cords.

Yes, I drink a lot of water every day. I take Mucinex (time-released Guaifenesin) to thin it out.

I warm up my voice to get a lot of the crud out, but some days it just doesn't clear.

Years ago, there was a sore throat spray that worked great. It had right on the label that it helped clear away mucus in the throat. But they stopped selling it, and I don't remember the name.

Anyone know a remedy for this specific problem?

I've used 'Singer's Saving Grace' sold at many PCC's where you would go to find 'organic' items :)

Single malt scotch :rolleyes:

(Just kidding)

Kenn, I remember back in the old days we used a spray called Chloraseptic (not sure if I have that spelling right), although it was more of a mild anaesthetic than a mucus buster.

Hello -

I'm a longtime professional singer and voice teacher (and newer ukulele player and teacher, and newbie to UU), and I began developing persistent mucous-causing allergies a few years ago. The only thing that works for me is using 1 spray of fluticasone (I use Kirkland Aller-flo) in each nostril every morning for maintenance. If i forget and skip a day or two, the mucous comes back in the morning.

I'll supplement this with using a neti pot to rinse the nasal passages once in a while. Sometimes, eating food helps to clear the throat. I tried taking guafenesin, but it made me feel unsteady. I'm glad you mentioned warming up the voice to help clear some of the mucous. That helps me, too. I also use a hepa air-purifier in my bedroom when I sleep - perhaps that's a preventative option to explore.

Surely, you've tried all of these things already. I'm just here to say "I feel your pain."

I am not exactly sure where you live so they might not sell it if you're from outside of the UK but when I have any kind of cough or cold, I use Broncho stop cough syrup- it's marshamllow extract and herbal thyme and you can use it on different types of coughs.
-Lou

I have the same issues as you, Kenn2018. I've lived with them for years, but now that I'm trying to sing again it is very frustrating. So I'm following this thread with great interest.

Carbonated drinks. Cokes work for me, with or without rum. But seriously, I sip on a soft drink. For me it is what you don't drink, and that is any dairy products. Milk is the worst. And I don't like to eat just before.

I don't eat anything before I sing, the mere act of chewing manufactures a lot of phlegm.

The best treatment I have found is Throat Coat Tea, made specifically for singers. I drink it before and during singing.

I don't eat anything before I sing, the mere act of chewing manufactures a lot of phlegm.

The best treatment I have found is Throat Coat Tea, made specifically for singers. I drink it before and during singing.

I bought that tea, but I haven't drunk enough or often enough to notice a difference. I will be singing in public in a few days. Between my throat and my plugged-up ears... :D

EDIT: My world singing debut will be on 8/19, which is the soonest Amazon could get Singer's Saving Grace to me. Fortunately, Walmart can get the 1 oz, $14 bottle to me on 8/17. If my performance doesn't turn out too bad, I'll post a video.

Last edited:
Very effective spray miramistin, the main thing after use is to abstain from eating for 30 minutes.

Thank You Nickie. I suffer from post nasal drip and seasonal allergies. I am going to give this tea a try. I like the ability to drink the tea while playing.

I just tense my core and heave. Not very ladylike but it works.

Hello -

I'm a longtime professional singer and voice teacher (and newer ukulele player and teacher, and newbie to UU), and I began developing persistent mucous-causing allergies a few years ago. The only thing that works for me is using 1 spray of fluticasone (I use Kirkland Aller-flo) in each nostril every morning for maintenance. If i forget and skip a day or two, the mucous comes back in the morning.

I'll supplement this with using a neti pot to rinse the nasal passages once in a while. Sometimes, eating food helps to clear the throat. I tried taking guafenesin, but it made me feel unsteady. I'm glad you mentioned warming up the voice to help clear some of the mucous. That helps me, too. I also use a hepa air-purifier in my bedroom when I sleep - perhaps that's a preventative option to explore.

Surely, you've tried all of these things already. I'm just here to say "I feel your pain."

Yes, I was about to suggest using a Neti pot!
(Get a ceramic or metal one, the plastic ones are unhygienic)

Top Bottom