“SOTU 402...Sickening Sweet Season”

bonesigh

Reaction score

Not that it really matters but the title ( which I can’t figure out how to change) should say...

”Sickeningly Sweet Season”

Hello everyone! It is good to be back and hosting a Season.

This week instead of Halloween songs how about we go to the candy side of this holiday. Bring me songs that YOU think are just sticky with sweetness:drool:saccharine, gooey, sappy, sentimental, sugary, syrup, honey, cheesy, cornball, corney, cutsie, drippy and mushy!! They don’t have to be love songs either!

Did I leave out any synonyms??

You writers....start writing and composing!
Collaborate if you wish!

You may also WANT to do some Halloween songs. If you must make them songs from the animated film “Nightmare Before Christmas” :rolleyes:

The rules:
* The Ukulele should be prominent in your video but does not have to be present all the time.
* Do as many videos as you wish.
* Multi tracking, use of effects etc. are permitted.
* Your entries should be a new recording made during this Season.
* Starts Saturday the 26th of Oct and end 00.00pm Sunday Nov 3rd Hawaii time.

There will be a cheesy uke related prize or two.

PLAYLIST
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyCDBKd_O5gAouGfRN2YVDJVudJGpsMme

Last edited:
That should be fun. Bring your soppiest of soppy songs. Mmmm

Excludes most folk & country. :stop:

Melody holds up well but words are sick inducing imho...

From the web...

Written by Toni Wine and Carole Bayer Sager. Recorded by the Mindbenders in 1965.
The song has been covered by:
Petula Clark (1966)
Patti LaBelle (1966)
Sonny and Cher (1967)
Neil Diamond (1993)
Phil Collins (2011)
and many others.

When I'm feeling blue
All I have to do
Is take a look at you
And then I'm not so blue
When you're close to me
I can feel your heart beat
I can hear you breathing
In my ear
Wouldn't you agree
Baby you and me
Got a groovy kind of love
We got a groovy kind of love

Anytime you want to
You can turn me on to
Anything you want to
Anytime at all
When I taste your lips
Ooh I start to shiver
Can't control the quivering inside
Wouldn't you agree
Baby you and me

I love you
I love you
I love you it's true
When I'm feeling blue
All I have to do
Is take a look at you
And then I'm not so blue
When I'm in your arms
Nothing seems to matter
If the whole world could shatter
I don't care

Last edited:
I guess there is good soppy and bad soppy. Always liked this Donovan song inspired by a wind attack....just jesting...a lovely song with somewhat sweet poetic lyrics.
Thanks for hosting Bonesigh!

I know it was recorded by The Drifters originally, but as I live on the banks of the Mersey i'll call it the Merseybeat version by The Searchers …

I am feeling quite sick. Sickeningly happy with such wonderful entries so far!
Later on today I will post comments on YT. Thanks y’all! Keep on bringing it!

I am going to be exceedingly sickening ... but I can't till Tuesday as we have visitors. Great idea for the week, Janet!

As Alan would sing...Skippedy Doodah, a couple more entries to make this ‘ol heart sing. Skippedy Doodah I’ll wait till the morning and post all the comments I’ll bring”!

In the world of sickly sweet songs, there is a sub-genre which can beat them all - songs where at some point (usually towards the end) it is revealed that the subject of the song is a child. Chuck Berry got away with it on "Memphis Tennessee", Brotherhood Of Man left it until the very last word on "Save Your Kisses For Me", and then there's this one...Now, I'm a big admirer of Gilbert O'Sullivan - he's written some truly great songs, but this one I'm not so sure about. It hasn't aged well. These days the first couple of verses sound downright creepy, and then you find out who he's singing about. Still not OK, Gilbert...

Hey, Janet,

Great theme! I have a couple of sappy contributions in mind.

A hundred of us spent the weekend in Mayberry, er, Mount Airy, N.C., Andy Griffith’s hometown, at the first Mount Airy Uke Retreat. Cathy Fink, Marcy Marxer, Kent Knorr, and George Smith led the festivities. Almost everything took place at the Andy Griffith Playhouse and Museum. It was fantastic (also it was North Carolina’s first ukulele festival). Plans are under way for next year’s event, scheduled for the weekend before Halloween.

Anyone within driving distance should consider going. A fine, fine time with gobs of stuff to take away and learn!

Advertisement over.

Hi Janet! Long time no see!

Here's one from some serial sop-merchants from Ireland, The Script. The sort of basic four chord songs that drive teenage girls crazy. But they actually wrote one good song and here it is:

I need to restring this uke, it's sounding a bit dead. Could also be to do with my thrashing my electric for an hour before this and my hand being knackered though.

Top Bottom