Guitar Sale ?

Badger uke

Reaction score
Since taking up ukulele my guitar has sat gathering dust , has anyone sold there guitar and later regretted it .

Since taking up ukulele my guitar has sat gathering dust , has anyone sold there guitar and later regretted it .

I asked a similar question a few years back. The advice I got was unless I really needed the money or was really into decluttering I should hang onto it. Maybe someone visiting plays guitar and it would be nice to have around. In my case my brother in-law plays guitar and we have jammed together. I also started back up on guitar again about one year ago and enjoy it as much as playing uke.

I would have come to regret selling it.

Once I got the 'Uke bug I simply gave away my guitars, to friends and family! Never regretted it.

I've sold lots of things and later regretted it. I sold three ukes, regretted it, and then bought those models again. Once that guitar is gone, it's gone. Maybe if you know you're not going to play it, and you could sell it for a good price, you should sell it.

Only you can really answer that question, but:

Can you play the guitar decently now, and could you see yourself playing in the future? Is the guitar something you would like to do more with, play better, expand your guitar playing? Do would want to play multiple instruments? Your current interest is in the ukulele but could you drift back to guitar?
I noodled around with a guitar years ago when living overseas. Never really progressed very far, so I gifted it to a neighbor when I left.
Today I have access to guitars, violins, mandolins, hand drums, keyboards, several other folk instruments. I really only play ukulele. Don't have the desire to learn to play the others at this time in my life. Most of them are my wife's and son's so I don't have think about them too much. My bod-ran and harmonica don't take up much space either so I don't think I'll sell them either.

If I was on my own I'd likely sell a little played guitar and buy another ukulele or some accessories to support the playing of my current ukes.

Think it over but don't become overly obsessed with your decision. If you do sell it and want another guitar down the road you'll find a way.

I've sold lots of things and later regretted it. I sold three ukes, regretted it, and then bought those models again. Once that guitar is gone, it's gone. Maybe if you know you're not going to play it, and you could sell it for a good price, you should sell it.
I sell stuff, usually because I was really into whatever it is at the time I bought it and I feel guilty because I've abandoned it for my next all consuming passion. I never have anything that is irreplaceable, so I get rid of whatever it is. I get rid of it and move on with my life. If later on down the road I want to do whatever it is, I'll get another.

I still have my guitars, even though I rarely play them anymore. By a twist of fate, I have my first real one, a ‘64 Guild electric archtop. And over the years I have picked up a few electrics that I really don’t want to sell. Lord willing, they will eventually go to our kids.

John

I started playing uke first then tried out guitar and only made so-so progress on it. I sold my Taylor and regretted it in a fairly short amount of time. I wound up repurchasing the same guitar and now play it more regularly. It's not my main instrument now, mandolin is, but I'm glad I have it. I wouldn't keep more than one guitar but I do like having it around and it's especially nice when someone comes over and wants to jam. I don't play my ukes as much as I did before taking up mandolin but they aren't going anywhere either.

I haven't regretted it. That said, I don't usually get attached to my instruments either. So whether or not the guitar has sentimental value to you comes into play I would say.
I have sold a guitar before then bought another one, after time had passed, because I thought I wanted to get back into it. Then I ended up selling the guitar again. Recently I thought about getting another, but may not after all. The uke works well for me.
Maybe you can't know for sure whether you'll miss the guitar or not until after you sell it.
If you don't need the money, and the guitar isn't taking up needed space or requiring a lot of care, I guess maybe the safe thing would be to keep it. It all comes down to personal choice though, of course.

Last edited:
It’s a hard decision , I pick it up after playing my soprano and it feels huge and cumbersome but sounds sweet my original plan was to sell the guitar and buy a nice tenor but lately my soprano gets more use than my concert as was said earlier it’s a decision I have to take .

Top Bottom