Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing The Electric Guitar With Fingers Only

Default Playing The Electric Guitar With Fingers Only

For ages, I've felt that I have much better control, and thus greater confidence, when I use ONLY my fingers for both rhythm and lead playing on my electric guitar, rather than using a pick. It's as if eliminating the pick from the equation "links" me to the guitar more directly, and it's a good secure feeling. I often do lead playing with my index fingernail essentially serving as a short "natural pick" (primarily downstrokes). I love the "ping-y" tone that this creates, as it can be very expressive and pleasing to the ear. But the problem I have is that, once I have the amp on and turned up to gig volume, playing CHORDS on the electric with my finger(s) instead of a pick makes things sound really "muddy" thru the amp. Has anyone here dealt with that issue? "First-world problem", I know! But just wondering if there are any fingers-only electric players out there, and whether you can relate to this issue?

Maybe use the rear pickup for chords, strum closer to the bridge and/or program a patch with brighter EQ on your stomp board?

Good thoughts, Peter! Actually, I don't have a stomp board, but I like your idea about using the rear (i.e. "bridge") pickup for chord playing, as that may indeed reduce the "muddiness" I'm getting when chording on the middle and neck pickups (I'm currently using a Squier Mini Stratocaster). And maybe to a large extent it's about keeping at it and working on a consistent and lighter touch when playing chords without a pick. But I will definitely try your suggestion! Thanks!

Mary Spender on youtube plays electric guitar without a pick, you could analyse her playing but i think she finger picks more than strums. Hope i am not saying something dumb as a beginner myself but i presume you have tried only strumming three strings at a time?
    Last edited by Davoravo; 10-28-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Thank you, Davo! I just checked out some of Mary's videos, and she does have a nice touch! And I like the fact that she doesn't try to over-play. I think that's the key-- just patiently working on a consistent and smooth stroke, and not "trying too hard"!

That’s how Mark Knopfler plays, and he’s hands down a really good player!

Quote Originally Posted by lakesideglenn View Post
    That’s how Mark Knopfler plays, and he’s hands down a really good player!
    I was going to mention him too.

If one searches YouTube, there are many interviews with him where he explains his technique and his reasons for playing without a pick.
    -Joe......Have uke, will travel...

Thanks guys! I'll check out some of those videos featuring Mark. I also recall that Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham is a "fingers-only" player...

Jeff Beck tended to fly pick-less and Wes Montgomery flew up and down his L5 with only thumb power!

Jeff and Wes! That's certainly a couple of good recommendations for the technique!

Thread Information