StewMac ukulele kit build

Tung Oil is very nice finish for decorative woodwork that will be infrequently handled. It enhances the grain and gives a lovely natural look. I found it slow to dry and too soft for the rigours of musical instrument handling. The Tung Oil finish available commercially is a brew of quite a few ingredients blended to compensate for the shortcomings of the natural nut extract.
Many years ago, I naively applied the pure oil to a classical guitar, but ended up scraping it off when finger nail scratches showed after minimal careful handling. I then blended a few other ingredients into it, as suggested in woodworking magazine articles, but found the results were not much improved over the pure oil.
My bottle of pure oil is still as fluid and clear as when I bought it ~ 30 years ago. The only sign of age is a thin crystallised ring around the top.
I like the idea of using natural oils, but all that I have tried have come up short for the requirements of musical instrument making.

is that a good finish material?

I used to use tung oil on some dulcimers I built and 30 years later the things still look and sound pretty good. Caveat: Not all "tung oils" are created equal. And they long ago became a synthetic product. Witches brews. I used Formby's. But as far as "fool proof" you can hardly muck up a tung oil finish. Probably the easiest finish to apply. One big problem is that it is hard to go back once an instrument is oiled and do a different finish. More ominously, there are those that point to a "damping effect" from oiled finishes. I'm not sure I buy into that one, but it is a consideration. Welcome to the murky world of instrument finishing!

Before glueing the neck, I mocked up bridge placement and final heel fit; everything looks good.

Question about scale length: The instructions say 16-31/32" from body side of nut to center of saddle. I've heard 17" and beyond. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• neck & bridge fit A.jpg
    neck & bridge fit A.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 39
  • neck & bridge fit B.jpg
    neck & bridge fit B.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 36
  • final heel fit A.jpg
    final heel fit A.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 35
  • final heel fit B.jpg
    final heel fit B.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for saving my bacon Sequoia! It would be tragic to have an un-adjustable bridge in the wrong spot.

I can confirm the 8.47" measurement to the 12th fret in this kit, so I'm going to set my bridge at 17-1/32".

Just glued the neck on, another major step, and I just remembered to breathe!

Attachments

• glueing neck.jpg
    glueing neck.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 31
Neck is on! I'll be adding a personal touch, a piece of Mother of Pearl at the bottom of the neck heel:

Attachments

• neck on.jpg
    neck on.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 39
  • MOP.jpg
    MOP.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 40
First coat of finish; I went with Arm-R-Seal, a wipe-on oil/poly.

Attachments

• masked for finishing.jpg
    masked for finishing.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 1st finish coat.jpg
    1st finish coat.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 61
Well, I'm learning a few things about brush-on finishes, in particular Arm-R-Seal. I used a cotton ball inside a clean cotton cloth for the first application, which soaked in quickly. I let it dry 24 hours, then scuffed with 320 and applied a second coat with a foam brush. It went on WAY too heavy, resulting in runs that magically appeared overnight; it appears that the foam brush holds way more material than it looks like.

So I waited another 24 hours and sanded it flat with 320, then applied a coat using the cotton ball/cloth technique. MUCH better; a thinner, smoother coat that won't require much scuffing at all. I think one more coat should be enough, then I'll buff with 0000 steel wool for a satiny finish.

Last edited:
Wow it looks great

Getting a nice satiny reflection after 4 coats of Arm-R-Seal sanded with 400 between coats, and buffed with 0000 steel wool. Bridge will be glued on later today.

Attachments

• 0000 finish.jpg
    0000 finish.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 36
Almost done. Bridge is on and strung with Martin flourocarbons. Sounds pretty good, but I'll know more after the strings settle in.

Attachments

• almost done.jpg
    almost done.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 29
That looks mighty fine! When you first put strings on a newly built uke, they sound OK, but some strange and wonderful magic happens in the first twenty four hours. You'll see!

John Colter

Well it's done, and I'm VERY happy with the construction. It has a silky smooth satin finish, nice action, no buzzes, and projects sound well. I'm less happy with the intonation, since I'm used to fully adjustable bridges on my electric guitars. The high G and A strings intonate fine at the 12th, but the C and E are sharp. The scale is set at exactly 17-1/32", so I'm sure the bridge is in the proper spot. If the bridge was placed incorrectly, wouldn't all the strings be sharp?

So please school me on strings. I'm using Martin M620 flourocarbons, mainly because I've heard they stretch less & stay in tune longer. My bigger question is can different brands and string material affect intonation?

Attachments

• done front.jpg
    done front.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 37
  • done back A.jpg
    done back A.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 31
  • done back B.jpg
    done back B.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 33
  • done lower seam.jpg
    done lower seam.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 33
Looks gorgeous!

Not an expert, but throwing out my understanding for somebody else to correct ;)

Different strings will intonate slightly differently. Thicker (lower) strings often need to be slightly longer the the higher strings. You might be able to file the bridge so the C and E strings cross at the back instead of the middle to slightly flatten them.

Imagine what the intonation would have been like if you had not used compensation. Remember that compensation does not eliminate intonation error but only minimizes it. It is just a compromise. Whenever you have a saddle parallel to the nut in reentrant tuning you will have intonation error. That is just the nature of the beast. You can only minimize it but not eliminate it. To eliminate it you would have to use non-reentrant tuning and angle your saddle to compensate for the different string thicknesses. Lowering the action will further minimize the error but sacrifices volume. Again, it is a series of compromises. My advice is to just play your new ukulele and enjoy it.

When I use flurocarbon strings I use the Martin M620's and I like the sound and the way they feel. However to get a little more punch, I use the ugly Nylaguts from Aquila... Also, don't forget to remove the white plastic protective patches on your tuner machines. They are just on there to keep the chrome shiny during installation. To leave them on is just tacky.

Top Bottom