Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: StewMac ukulele kit build

Imagine what the intonation would have been like if you had not used compensation. Remember that compensation does not eliminate intonation error but only minimizes it. It is just a compromise. Whenever you have a saddle parallel to the nut in reentrant tuning you will have intonation error. That is just the nature of the beast. You can only minimize it but not eliminate it. To eliminate it you would have to use non-reentrant tuning and angle your saddle to compensate for the different string thicknesses. Lowering the action will further minimize the error but sacrifices volume. Again, it is a series of compromises. My advice is to just play your new ukulele and enjoy it.

When I use flurocarbon strings I use the Martin M620's and I like the sound and the way they feel. However to get a little more punch, I use the ugly Nylaguts from Aquila... Also, don't forget to remove the white plastic protective patches on your tuner machines. They are just on there to keep the chrome shiny during installation. To leave them on is just tacky.

...or if I would have used the shorter scale the instructions indicated; thanks again sequoia.

It was a real learning experience for me; more complex construction than an electric guitar, yet more fussy about tuning and intonation. The idea of an instrument that isn't easily intonatable is foreign to me. Strings that don't settle in for days/weeks is another dilemma; I'm used to stretching a new set of electric strings and playing in tune immediately. Also, I'm not impressed with the tuners I've used (an MGB cigar box kit and this one from StewMac). Not too grippy it seems.

I had fun, but probably won't make or buy another acoustic. Electric ukes are another story- I had a ball making my SG uke, and it's still in tune after 3 weeks!

Thanks for all the help & comments everyone.

If anyone's interested, her are a few of my guitars:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chacun a son gout.

Nice work, Beerbelly.

John Colter

Exactement ainsi.

Thread Information