What does an oval drawn around the fingering on a tab sheet mean?

bretterb

Reaction score
Subj pretty much says it all.

What does an oval drawn around the fingering on a tab sheet mean?

I attached an image of what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

-Brett

Attachments

• tab.png
    tab.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 48
My guess is that's a half note to match the chord in the standard notation. That bar looks like it's in 4/4, so there are four beats: hold the first (circled) F chord for two beats, one beat for the C5 chord, and half a beat each for the C and G

Where is it from? Most tab books I have include keys with all of the symbols used in that specific book.

I don't use tablature, so I don't actually know anything but from the standard notation it looks like those chords with ovals around them are half-notes and you should let them ring out for a longer amount of time

Wacky. Looks like a generic “play this note longer but not specifically a half note” since the circle matches the half notes (makes sense) and also the whole note at the end (which should be twice as long).

It could also mean half notes with an error on the last whole note, but since the tab doesn’t differ between quarters and eighths either I think it’s just really loose notation. I’d ignore it and look at the staff above for timing info

Thanks everyone for the replies! I guess that makes sense that it's telling you to hold the chord (let it ring) since it's a 1/2 note (or whole note in last measure).

-Brett

Top Bottom