Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NUD: Moore Bettah

It's great news that Chuck is still building ukuleles, and that you were able to get one. While of course Chuck's health was the primary concern, I'm sure it had to be a disappointment to have been on the build list, but then learn that it wasn't going to happen. So, this is good news in many ways.

If you do get a chance to post a sound sample, I'd love to hear it. It's a beautiful ukulele. Enjoy it!

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it.
    Kathryn

That’s one spectacularly beautiful ukulele! Would love to hear a sound clip....
    Thanks

Kala TEM

Chuck is posting his new ukes on his Facebook page....although he will not take custom orders when he post his new ukes on F/B there is a good chance you can get one of them....keep in touch with him and you might get lucky....he is building less than before but glad to see he is still doing what he loves....

Congrats on your new MBU...enjoy!!
    Kanile'a K-2 Concert,Ko'Aloha Super Concert,Maui Music 1998 Koa Tenor,Compass Rose Koa Tenor,Graziano Koa Tenor,Kamaka HF3-S,Moore Bettah Milo/Sitka Spruce Tenor,DeVine mother of curl Koa/Engleman Spruce Tenor,Ko'olau Indo Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Tenor,Washburn Lyon and Healy 1936 Bell shaped soprano,Lfdm Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce Tenor,Rollo Scheurenbrand African Blackwood/Adirondack Spruce Tenor

Thanks everybody for all of the congratulations and kind comments.
    @kernaltime I know exactly what you mean. I've been sitting on this NUD for a few weeks. I wasn't even sure if I was gonna do one, to be honest, but in the end I just thought it would be a shame not to share it with the community.

Since a couple of you mentioned that you'd like to hear a sound clip, I've recorded a few and just uploaded them to a SoundCloud playlist. This is the first time I've ever actually attempted to record myself, and I don't feel like the clips do the instrument justice. My recording equipment isn't all that great either. I'm still trying to figure out the best settings, positioning, volume, and all that stuff. Most of the recordings sound a bit muffled to my ears, and there's definitely something missing. In person the uke sounds so vibrant and alive, and it's just not coming through in the clips.

That said, I think the snippet of 'Here Comes the Sun' is the best representation of the real-world magic that is the Moore Bettah sound.

Here's the SoundCloud link: https://soundcloud.com/user-104262065/sets/moore-bettah

I've also attached my absolute favorite picture of the uke. It's one that Chuck posted himself as a sneak peek of the instrument before I got my hands on it. I think it captures the raw beauty and intricate detail of this piece of art perfectly.

Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is chuck still using Ti-Infeld 3&4 with Oasis 1&2? Gorgeous tenor Mnb. I have one Chuck made for my 65th b'day. It's in the book, "Two Feathers". Relieved to know he's doing better.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Is chuck still using Ti-Infeld 3&4 with Oasis 1&2? Gorgeous tenor Mnb. I have one Chuck made for my 65th b'day. It's in the book, "Two Feathers". Relieved to know he's doing better.
    Hi Pat,

I just found the picture of you with 'Two Feathers' in the book. It's a beautiful instrument.

I don't think Chuck's using the TI and Oasis strings anymore. I think he's cooked up his own concoction. I've got the TI and Oasis string combo on my Farallon and they feel similar but different. Chuck's feel higher tension for one. It's possible that's a result of the slothead, but I don't think so. The wound strings also have a slightly different feel to them. They're smooth and quiet, but not quite as smooth as the TIs in my opinion. Then again, I'm comparing them against strings that have been mounted longer and are more worn in. Whatever he's using, I like the feel, and I can't imagine finding anything that sounds better on this instrument. But, if I didn't have any MB string sets left, the first thing I would mount up is the TI-Oasis Warm combo. I think they'd sound great on it as well.

So, all of that said, they're close enough in feel that I can't be entirely certain one way or the other. How unhelpful is that?! Sorry.

Thanks for your wonderful story, especially about the human connection with Chuck. Enjoy your beautiful Ukulele, Chuck's instruments not only look great but have the sweetest sound. :-)
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

Congratulations. This type of understated elegance where the wood is the focal piece is my favorite. Enjoy it for a long time.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Thanks for posting the sound sample. I was listening to the one on Ukulele Friend this morning, (they have a Moore Bettah for sale), and now yours. The sound is outstanding. And your playing is quite good, too. :-)

Enjoy your ukulele.

Thread Information