Oscar Schmidt Conversion

Dr.Ukenstein

Reaction score
So, my wife is gone to Miami. I got a couple hours to clutter the kitchen table. The Oscar Schmidt OGQS mini-six string guitar arrived yesterday. In this pic, he is laid out ready for conversion to a 5 steel string bari-tenor uke. Here he is on the table stripped and ready to be operated upon.

Attachments

• SUNP0666.jpg
    SUNP0666.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 32
As cluttered as the table is, I only needed a portable drill, a set of needle files ($4 at Harbor Freight), and a coping saw to make this conversion. During the process, I discovered that the tuner nuts were loose so they got tightened with a small wrench. I strung it with the 5 highest pitch strings from an Ernie Ball Super Slinky set. The low E was left over. In another hour my wife will arrive.

Attachments

• SUNP0673.jpg
    SUNP0673.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 27
With a half hour to spare, Miss Oscar is now a ukulele tuned to DGCEA (not re-entrant). Conversion is complete. She sings a sweet alto. And, the table is clear. Time for a beer.

Attachments

• SUNP0678.jpg
    SUNP0678.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 34
A man on a mission. Oh, and you converted a guitar to a ukulele. Congratulations on success with both! :cheers:

Great job. And next we need to hear her sing on video :)

I enjoy playing a GoldTone Banjola, as I love the sound of the banjo-like 5th drone string. The drone gets re-tuned as necessary for different keys.

This looks like something I would want to try. Did you just leave one string position empty at the bridge and nut - if so, which one?

More close up pics of the bridge and nut would help.

Thanks!
Wiggy

First, Keeno. Yes, but if she sings, I sing, too. That is the deal with with our uke group. Only, the ubass player is exempt. It may be awhile as I have committed to do the audio/video from my kayak.

Now, Wiggy. This pic of the nut is fuzzy but the best of the batch. I kept the 2 outside string places. Cut a notch in the middle just a fraction to the high side becase of string thickness. The two string cuts on either side had to be very careful because of proximity to the existing notches. The thinnest needle file was used to start the cut. A very thin coping saw took it down and the needle file finished it. Yes, in addition to walk in notes that are not available on a 4 string uke, the D string can be tuned up or down which really works well for rock-a-billy stuff in the key of E. On to the bridge...

Attachments

• SUNP0679.jpg
    SUNP0679.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 12
Another fuzzy pic. I drilled 3 new holes for string pegs. The G and E are a hair out of perfect placement but it plays fine and the bridge intonation is very good according to the 12th fret harmonics. On the next string change, I will gently notch the bridge and plug the 4 open holes. This is a really fun and versatile instrument. Thank You all for your comments.

Attachments

• SUNP0682.jpg
    SUNP0682.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for the method notes and pics as they "clear" it all up (pun intended)!

I work quite slowly, so this will be a good winter weather project.

-Wiggy

Last edited:
Top Bottom