Kinnard Family Picnic

greenie44

Big King Velour
UU VIP
Reaction score
I hope it is OK to post about this recent event, as there were not many folks who were able to attend, but it really shed some light on what is great and special about the ukulele community.

One of the things I always hold up as a positive for my favorite instrument is that ukulele players are, almost universally, really nice people. Kind, giving and welcoming.

This last weekend, Kinnard Ukes held a Kinnard Family Picnic for owners of that brand. What a great event! Lots of music, song circles, and really informative talks and demos on playing and building ukes.

Kevin, Deb and John went above and beyond for to create this wonderful event. As if owning a Kinnard uke was not reward enough in itself, being part of the Kinnard community is icing on the cake.

I bet that was a great event.

Anything in particular that stood out to you from what you learned?

I think I would have wanted to buy every ukulele there. :)

I bet that was a great event.

Anything in particular that stood out to you from what you learned?

I think I would have wanted to buy every ukulele there. :)

Kevin, in his infinite mercy, did not have ukes there for sale. But, oh, I played one of the ukes another person brought, and I think I have to get one. (You know who you are!)

John took us through the shop and explained the different machines used to create his ukes, as well as the artistry used in the process. Really mind-expanding.

And Kimo Hussey did a mini-workshop on chords and melody that co-incidentally pointed to a technique that I have been using for arrangements for the past year or so. I discovered it on my own, but it made more sense when he validated it. The technique is ending strums on different strings to emphasize particular melody notes.

Wow that is certainly something I would want to attend. Kinnard has been on my list of ukuleles I would want to own. Does the owners club include those who've purchased through HMS?

Dang! I wonder if owners who purchased them used are allowed to join?

The event was a gathering of Kinnard owners and a celebration of John Kinnard's fifty years of luthiery (!!!). Kevin and Deb were wonderful hosts and John was in his element showing much of the thought and skill in producing a Kinnard ukulele.

It was special to have a "private" poolside performance by Kimo Hussey and then have him spend the following afternoon with us, both as an instructor and participant, including dinner to finish the day.

I expect that anyone with a Kinnard ukulele is part of the Kinnard family. HMS is a selling agent for their Series 2 sopranos, but you still get on the waitlist and likely communicate with Kevin so that your desires and the ukulele match. Other than this event, I am unaware of any Kinnard Family events that have transpired or are planned. But the best part of being part of the Kinnard Family is having a Kinnard uke to play anytime.

Top Bottom