NUD: Mmmm... Mango Double Cream Soprano by Rebel

CPG

Reaction score
Stupidly sold my KoAloha KSM-00C a few weeks ago and regretted it almost immediately. So in a fit of sellers remorse I bought myself a Rebel Double Cream soprano from Mim. Just came to the office.

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vhY2h3weVBz9AB5k6

Lovely uke. Beautiful. Really love the headstock. Nice and thin and the way they do the overlay is really cool. I would have loved to have found one with some more figure and/or spalting and/or some darker area's like this one that was up at HMS last year, but the one I got has a touch of figure (more likely medullary ray from the quarter sawn wood) on the top and a cool light streak down the middle. It's a real nice bookmatch.

Pleasantly surprised by the gig bag. I figured it would be well padded, but its got a touch of stiffness too as well as some pads to support the body and neck. Definitely, better than the average gig bag. Though I will still get a hard case for it.

It's raining in Philly today so I couldn't take it outside for a test drive on my lunch. It remains to be seen whether or not it will cure my sellers remorse, but it certainly seems to be a fine fine uke and its got a lovely Mim setup.

Looking forward to trying it out.

Last edited:
Somehow I doubt it will cure your sellers remorse. It will probably only ignite a severe round of UAS. At least that's what would probably happen to me. I really like Rebel. I think they're innovative in their design and make great sounding instruments.

For what it's worth, I like your soprano, even with the understated figure, but just in case that UAS is eating at you, there's a sweet looking Double Creme Super Concert at HMS with some great figure/spalting.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/rebel/rebel-mango-super-concert-double-creme-1995.html

I'm such an enabler.

Somehow I doubt it will cure your sellers remorse. It will probably only ignite a severe round of UAS. At least that's what would probably happen to me. I really like Rebel. I think they're innovative in their design and make great sounding instruments.

For what it's worth, I like your soprano, even with the understated figure, but just in case that UAS is eating at you, there's a sweet looking Double Creme Super Concert at HMS with some great figure/spalting.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/rebel/rebel-mango-super-concert-double-creme-1995.html

I'm such an enabler.

Thanks!

Oh I saw that super concert! I also took a good long look at one of their double creme sops. They have one right now that I think I like a little better than the one I chose but I decided to pick out one from Mim because I didnt want to wait as long and for whatever reason hers are $70 less. She ended up finding a tiny little blem in the finish on the one I picked so I got an additional $30 off too. I definitely like the one I got a lot. Mim had 5 listed and this was my favorite. I like the touch of figure and the little streak of sapwood. I suspect as it ages and the wood darkens it will look even better. Every once in a while HMS seems to get one with a ton if figure but short of the few of those I've seen the one I got is, to me, one of the nicer looking ones I've seen listed.

Thank again!

Just finally had a chance to noodle a bit. I assume most folks know that these are made by the same folks who build the KoAloha Opios. The DNA these share with KoAlohas is immediatly apparent. It has a very VERY similar feel and even though I've only played it a little it mu first impression is that seems to have a similar tonality. I don't have my KoAloha anymore so I'm working from memory. This feels a little heavier on the neck but the overall build doesnt seem heavier. Might just be a denser piece of wood on the neck or the UPTs might be a touch heavier then the KoAloha friction tuners. Body and neck shape very very similar. Other than the obvious aesthetic differences the biggest difference seems to that this a more traditional bracing (what I can see of it anyway).

It definitely is at least as similar to as it is different from a KoAloha. I'll need to play it some more to get a better handle on the similarities and difference but this will do. This will do very nicely. While there is inherently something neat about a Hawainian made koa soprano I think I'll like this at least as much. I wish I could have both but I'd say my sellers remorse is at the very least now in balance with my buyers excitement.

Last edited:
That's beautiful! When I've regretted selling a uke, I eventually bought the same make and model again.

In a way, it would be nice if only one style of uke was allowed - by law. Different sizes, but only one shape and one wood. That would have saved me a lot of money - and a lot of storage room.

Nice uke! I love the look of the Rebel ukes.
Wish I could afford one, they sound great!
I'm looking forward to seeing Mim this weekend, but she won't be bringing any ukes to sell....
probably a damn good thing for me.

Thanks folks. I've had to a chance to play it a bit more the last couple days and this thing is ridiculously nice.

It definitely feels and sounds similar to the KSM in a lot of ways but it still has its own sound (which shouldn't be surprising given that it has a different wood and different build/bracing). It sounds like a KoAloha but toned down and, well, just less KoAloha-esc or KoAloha-like or KoAloha-y. It has a similar vibrance, volume, sensitivity, and broad tonal range but it has less high end, I think more mids, and a little more warmth. The KSM has a lot of warm punch but it's a little more scooped in the mids and also has a nice crispyness that sits on top, where as this has a bit more of a fat centered punch that feel in your chest and a little less crispyness (though still plenty crisp enough, not muddy or mushy). I guess I'd kinda compare it to the difference between a worth clear and worth brown. I think the KSM probably would have a little bit more projection just because of the stronger high end, but tonally, this thing sounds every bit as good.

If someone said to me I could keep this or have my old KSM back, oh my, that would be a touch decision. I'd love to have both, but I think I'd probably choose this. Overall, I think I subjectively like the look and tone a little more. Then again I like the romance (for lack of a better word) of having a Hawaiian made koa soprano and the one thing I definitely liked better about my KSM was that it had a really nice soft thin satin finish. This one is gloss. It's a nicely done gloss, and a satin probably wouldn't show the subtle figure in the mango as well, but I like the feel of satin better.

Anyway, these Rebels though are ABSOLUTLEY every bit the uke that folks say they are though. This thing is awesome! Very pleased, and buyers remorse, if not fully cured, successfully managed.

Last edited:
Thanks folks. I've had to a chance to play it a bit more the last couple days and this thing is ridiculously nice.

It definitely feels and sounds similar to the KSM in a lot of ways but it very much has its own sound (which shouldn't be surprising given that it has a different wood and different build/bracing). It kinda sounds like a KoAloha but toned down and, well, just less KoAloha-esc or KoAloh-like or KoAloha-y. It has a similar vibrance, volume, sensitivity, and broad tonal range but it has less high end, I think more mids, and a little more warmth. The KSM has a a lot of warm punch but also a crispyness that sits on top, where as this has a bit more of a fat centered punch that feel in your chest and less crispyness. I think the KSM probably would have a little bit more projection just because of the stronger high end, but tonally, this thing sounds every bit as good.

If someone said to me I could keep this or have my old KSM back, oh my, that would be a touch decision. I'd love to have both, but I think I'd probably choose this. Overall, I think I subjectively like the look and tone a little more. The one thing I definitely liked better about my KSM was that it had a really nice soft thin satin finish. This one is gloss. It's a nicely done glass, and a satin probably wouldn't show the subtle figure in the mango as well, but I like the feel of satin better.

These Rebels though are ABSOLUTLEY every bit the uke that folks say they are though. This thing is awesome! Very pleased, and buyers remorse, if not fully cured, successfully managed.

That’s wonderful to hear. Congrats on a great find.

I didn't know these were made by the people who made Opio. So I learned something new.
Pretty uke! I really like that headstock side view especially...The body looks great too though, of course. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Beautiful instrument, and beautiful playing! Ordering one myself now...

Thanks. That was a great uke! I actually didn't own it very long because another uke caught my eye and I ended up selling this one to fund that one. Ultimatly didn't like the latter one as much as I like this Rebel and sold that too. Probably should have just kept the Rebel and have often thought about getting another one. Though I have 3 amazing sopranos currently so if I do it would probably be a concert or tenor.

Rebel makes really really nice ukes! I think you'll love yours.

Nice. Looks and sounds great. Have fun.

Thanks. That was a great uke! I actually didn't own it very long because another uke caught my eye and I ended up selling this one to fund that one. Ultimatly didn't like the latter one as much as I like this Rebel and sold that too. Probably should have just kept the Rebel and have often thought about getting another one. Though I have 3 amazing sopranos currently so if I do it would probably be a concert or tenor.

Rebel makes really really nice ukes! I think you'll love yours.

Just got it yesterday - it has the matte finish - and it sounds great. Very impressed with the build quality... thanks for the inspiration to go ahead and get one with the video you posted... I see you have the Bearclaw AO from Pops - how do you like it? Been trying to find a sound sample, with no luck...

Just got it yesterday - it has the matte finish - and it sounds great. Very impressed with the build quality... thanks for the inspiration to go ahead and get one with the video you posted... I see you have the Bearclaw AO from Pops - how do you like it? Been trying to find a sound sample, with no luck...

Glad you like it. Rebels are such nice ukes and while not inexpensive really really good deals for what you get. If I ever get another it will probably be matte. The gloss finish was the one thing I didn't love on the one I had.

I actually posted several sound samples of my AO when I did my NUD. You can find them here:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...a-quot-)-Bearclaw-AO-Soprano-(w-sound-samples

I honestly had mixed feeling about the AO at first but it has opened up a lot and has really grown on. It has a beautifully clear, ringy, and direct sound. If you want the more open harp-like more KoAloha-esc sound you should get one of the other models. The AO is more barky and direct, less open and shimmery, and Ed F tells me ever so slightly not as loud more standard WOW models. It's hard to explain, it's almost like someone took a KoAloha or a WOW and e.q.'d out certain frequencies. I think the reason I had mixed feelings about it at first was because I had heard sound samples of the WOWs and it sounded different from them. It wasn't that it didn't sound good, it just didn't sound like what I thought it would sound like. Again, though I do like it a lot now. It opened up a lot and the tone generally just grew on me. I also LOVE the design and setup. Super easy playing, looks amazing, and the sloped shoulders work really well for letting one access the upper frets.

I actually had it up for sale a few weeks ago, but decided I didn't want to sell it and pulled it down. I was going to sell it to fund a Blackbird Clara that I found a good deal on but that deal fell through and I really didn't want to sell it so decided to hold onto it. Funding the other purchase was the only reason I was going to sell it. My Pohaku remains my favorite I've ever owned and I have a soft spot for my Weymann, so of three that was the only one I was willing to part with.

Last edited:
Glad you like it. Rebels are such nice ukes and while not inexpensive really really good deals for what you get. If I ever get another it will probably be matte. The gloss finish was the one thing I didn't love on the one I had.

I actually posted several sound samples of my AO when I did my NUD. You can find them here:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...a-quot-)-Bearclaw-AO-Soprano-(w-sound-samples

I honestly had mixed feeling about the AO at first but it has opened up a lot and has really grown on. It has a beautifully clear, ringy, and direct sound. If you want the more open harp-like more KoAloha-esc sound you should get one of the other models. The AO is more barky and direct, less open and shimmery, and Ed F tells me ever so slightly not as loud more standard WOW models. It's hard to explain, it's almost like someone took a KoAloha or a WOW and e.q.'d out certain frequencies. I think the reason I had mixed feelings about it at first was because I had heard sound samples of the WOWs and it sounded different from them. It wasn't that it didn't sound good, it just didn't sound like what I thought it would sound like. Again, though I do like it a lot now. It opened up a lot and the tone generally just grew on me. I also LOVE the design and setup. Super easy playing, looks amazing, and the sloped shoulders work really well for letting one access the upper frets.

I actually had it up for sale a few weeks ago, but decided I didn't want to sell it and pulled it down. I was going to sell it to fund a Blackbird Clara that I found a good deal on but that deal fell through and I really didn't want to sell it so decided to hold onto it. Funding the other purchase was the only reason I was going to sell it. My Pohaku remains my favorite I've ever owned and I have a soft spot for my Weymann, so of three that was the only one I was willing to part with.

Thanks for sharing the links -- the AO sounds really nice, and yes, I can see what you mean about the barky, direct, sound. Totally works with a soprano, in particular. And it looks SO unique and amazing... I had a Koaloha Soprano that I ended up selling because I thought it was too shimmery... weird, because I just didn't think that was the sound I wanted out of my soprano at the time...

I actually have a Blackbird Clara that I might be looking to sell soon, I'm on the fence about it right now - I will let you know if I decide to sell it, It's a B-stock that looks great, and sounds incredible -- I'm sure we can work something out...

Thanks for sharing the links -- the AO sounds really nice, and yes, I can see what you mean about the barky, direct, sound. Totally works with a soprano, in particular. And it looks SO unique and amazing... I had a Koaloha Soprano that I ended up selling because I thought it was too shimmery... weird, because I just didn't think that was the sound I wanted out of my soprano at the time...

I actually have a Blackbird Clara that I might be looking to sell soon, I'm on the fence about it right now - I will let you know if I decide to sell it, It's a B-stock that looks great, and sounds incredible -- I'm sure we can work something out...

Funny. The one I was gonna buy was B-stock too. I'm in a guitar and banjo playing phase at the moment (I go in cycles as to what instruments I practice), but by all means let me know if you decide to sell it. If the timing is right I may very well be interested in it and may also consider parting with the AO again someday if you're ever interested.

I had KoAloha soprano for a while too. I had mixed feelings about whether that was the tone I wanted in a soprano at the time, but honestly it's the only uke I've ever sold and regretted letting go of for any exteneded period of time. Usually I just move on to something new, but I missed that one for quite a while.

Last edited:
Funny. The one I was gonna buy was B-stock too. I'm in a guitar and banjo playing phase at the moment (I go in cycles as to what instruments I practice), but by all means let me know if you decide to sell it. If the timing is right I may very well be interested in it and may also consider parting with the AO again someday if you're ever interested.

I had KoAloha soprano for a while too. I had mixed feelings about whether that was the tone I wanted in a soprano at the time, but honestly it's the only uke I've ever sold and regretted letting go of for any exteneded period of time. Usually I just move on to something new, but I missed that one for quite a while.

I had/still have the same regret on the KoAloha, but more for the playability than the sound - for some reason, it felt like it had acres of space on the fretboard compared to any other soprano I've played. it was a Silver Series Factory Special that I sold SO CHEAP I'm still kicking myself... ugh.... Will definitely let you know about the Clara if I decide to move on from it...

I'm going to sell the Blackbird (sticking with sopranos only, for now, and I'm just not playing it), and would maybe be interested in some kind of a trade for the AO, or a straight purchase, if you're interested - let me know!

I'm going to sell the Blackbird (sticking with sopranos only, for now, and I'm just not playing it), and would maybe be interested in some kind of a trade for the AO, or a straight purchase, if you're interested - let me know!

Sent you a PM. Let me know if it didn't come thorugh. PM's get cut off here sometimes.

Top Bottom