Nut Alignment and Bending

Neil_O

Reaction score
I've got more than a year's experience with ukulele and a lot more experience with guitar. I have new tenor that may have exposed one of my flaws. When I move to an Dm, (first position) I tend to push the G string to the edge of the fretboard, or off it sometimes. I looked at my nut and decided it may be aligned more towards the G side.

I know I need to work on holding the strings straight down against the fretboard so I'm not pulling everything sharp.

So I think this is a combination problem but I need advice on whether the nut alignment should be centered, or even slightly towards the A side. When I bend a string, I always bend UP, so that's where I might want some more room.

Thanks,
Neil in Oakland CA

Generally, you should have a similar distance between string and edge of fretboard on the two outside strings.

Pictures would probably get you a faster yes/no answer on your particular instrument.

I know I need to work on holding the strings straight down against the fretboard so I'm not pulling everything sharp.

I think that sums it up ... get your basic technique sorted, then decide if adjusting the instrument will improve things further. You may well find that by holding the instrument "correctly" - (do you use a strap?) - you'll be able to pull the strings either way and nut alignment will become less of a concern. It would be well worth accurately measuring the perceived mis-alignment so's you know for sure that there's a problem ;)

YMMV :music:

I've got more than a year's experience with ukulele and a lot more experience with guitar. I have new tenor that may have exposed one of my flaws. When I move to an Dm, (first position) I tend to push the G string to the edge of the fretboard, or off it sometimes. I looked at my nut and decided it may be aligned more towards the G side.

So I think this is a combination problem but I need advice on whether the nut alignment should be centered, or even slightly towards the A side. When I bend a string, I always bend UP, so that's where I might want some more room.

Thanks,
Neil in Oakland CA

Out of curiousity, is it a Pono?

It's not a Pono, it is a Pepe Romero Tiny Tenor Koa.
five.jpgfour.jpgone.jpgthree.jpgtwo.jpg
I tried to take some pictures from as straight as possible to show the offset to the bass side. Pepe said I could send it to him to look at, but shipping costs a bundle. I suppose I might be able to get a strap button added, but I think I might want a wider fret board, so I don't want to possibly tank the resale by adding a button.

Thanks,
Neil

I notice that your uke, like the Pono tenor I owned, has tall, fat frets. Though they’re great on some ukes, I think that when those taller fret ends are dressed, in some cases, the set up person files them at too sharp an angle and ends up reducing the length of the actual fretting surface a bit too much in the process. The result is that some players, like me, will push the string right off of the fret.

I think this is exacerbated in your uke by the nut slot for the G string being a bit too close to the edge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom