Front Strap Peg Location on an Acoustic Uke?

Dr.Ukenstein

Reaction score
Instead of running your strap to the headstock which I find awkward, where is best to mount the strap peg on an acoustic ukulele? The base of the heel of the neck mount makes the uke roll forward. Other players have shown me a spot on the heel underneath the neck that they say is best. It actually looks to roll the uke into better playing position. Any recommendations or pics of front peg mounting places? Thanks, in advance.

All my ukes have straps and they all have, as you mentioned, the pin located on the treble side of the heel. It works very well. Once, with my first ukulele, I put the pin on the back of the heel and it did have a tendency to roll forward. The only liability to placing the pin on the treble side of the heel is that it makes the highest frets a little awkward to reach. By design all my ukes have 19 frets and the strap gets in the way of making chords up there although fingerpicking still works.

I also dislike straps on the headstock. My ukes have the strap button in the same place as ripock describes above. The balance seems good to me. I have my local acoustic guitar & ukulele shop install mine. I always bring my strap with me so they can get the location of the button right.

Last edited:
Thanks Rip and Rafter, I actually do push the reach into the treble stratosphere on rare occasion. So, I noticed that a strap and peg might be an obstacle on that portion of the neck. However, the alternative is drilling a hole through the front shoulder of the soundbox and sandwiching with s.s. fender washers. I put a strap peg on my ubass in that position (picture where the treble/rhythm switch is on a Les Paul guitar) and it works very well. Please, someone talk me out of doing this on my first acoustic uke.

A strap button on the treble side of the neck drives me nuts as my palm hits it constantly. I actually removed one from an instrument that came that way and filled the hole with wood putty. I'd rather mount one on the heel or simply tie the strap to the head stock. If you drink enough beer a wee bit extra bulk on the belly prevents the instrument from rolling forward. If you attach the strap between the tuning keys rather than next to the nut it stays clear of the left hand.

I had one ukulele (Gary Gill) that I could not drill into the heel of the neck because of the way it was built. I used a product called a Uke Loop. A metal disc with holes in it that attaches with double sided tape. I positioned it centered on the back of the uke, where the neck joined the body. It worked fine, and I didn't notice any balance problems. Firm attachment, but removable. I wish I had a picture of it, but I don't.

http://www.honupicks.com/honupicks/products_ukeloop.html

The website pictures show it positioned more towards the top of the ukulele, but I had it more centered on the back.

Last edited:
... If you attach the strap between the tuning keys rather than next to the nut it stays clear of the left hand.

This is where I place the strap on my headstock. I also use a somewhat longer piece of cord to attach the strap to the headstock, thus increasing the distance between the two. This effectively eliminates any interference problems when chording close to the nut.

Though I don't often use a strap, I have fitted buttons on most of mine, & they are all on the underside of the heel, position 5.

With this position, I can use a lanyard attached to just this one button.

Thank You, All, for the replies. Still considering the front strap peg location on my acoustic. As an experiment, I mounted the strap peg on the front forward shoulder of my very heavy solid body ubass. Best placement I have found for this particular instrument.

Attachments

• SUNP0689.jpg
    SUNP0689.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 10
Lots of info here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...on-placements-that-impede-playing-up-the-neck.

My money is on the #5 position in the image several posts down.

As I mentioned in my previous post (in the above link) my favorite position is #3, which is what I have on my Klos, Blackbird, and Beltona - none of which are traditional wood though. But it's still easy to fit a strap button in that #3 position on any wood use if you just glue a small block on the inside to accept the wood screw. The resulting balance is good, and the strap is completely out of the way of your fretting hand.

Thank You Everyone for the suggestions. I mounted 2 front strap pegs. The one at the base of the heel is put there to hold the headstock above the table when the uke's back is set down horizontally. The other peg is thru-bolted through the shoulder with washer backup and double nuts to lock it in. This peg when strapped holds the uke against the player with a small upward tilt. Works perfectly, Thanks, again.

Attachments

• SUNP0691.jpg
    SUNP0691.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom