Anybody Else Find This Offensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Oops! Should have posted this in Uke Talk. Sorry.

I found this Alulu Tenor Uke on Ebay today.

I suppose it's supposed to be cute. Like the Tiki ukes. But I think the stereotypical cannibal caricature is incredibly offensive. Is this really an historic or accurate Hawaiian totem?

Am I overreacting? :(

Alulu solid mahogany tenor ukulele, Hawaiian totem pattern with hard case UMT63

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alulu-soli...179568?hash=item58cc16f8b0:g:MCIAAOSwge1djXDq

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 8.56.29 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 8.57.07 AM.jpg

Last edited:

I suppose it's supposed to be cute. Like the Tiki ukes. But I think the stereotypical cannibal caricature is incredibly offensive. Is this really an historic or accurate Hawaiian totem?

Am I overreacting? :(

Alulu solid mahogany tenor ukulele, Hawaiian totem pattern with hard case UMT63

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alulu-soli...179568?hash=item58cc16f8b0:g:MCIAAOSwge1djXDq

View attachment 122475 View attachment 122476

What makes it a cannibal caricature? I don't call it offensive, tacky for sure! Wonder if this builder has ever gotten better about using more seasoned woods in his ukes? His ukes in the past were known for splitting as they dried out.

I'm offended because it's ugly as hell. I have my doubts about the pattern being related to cannibalism, but I'm not an anthropoligist well-versed in tribal symbolism.

You're overreacting.

I don't find it offensive. I suppose it depends upon what your mind makes of it. I see a lizard on the front and a drummer on the back. There may, of course, be cultural references or cues of which I am ignorant.

I would be interested to hear what a Hawaiian person thinks of it.

John Colter

Mmmmm, I wonder what human flesh tastes like, I will ask the next Hawaiian I see, LOL. you out there, get a life.

It might be a caricature of traditional Polynesian art, but calling it "cannibal" is offensive to me. I do not think there is any historical record of cannibalism in Hawaii.

I've read that human flesh tastes like pork. Long pig - that's us.

John Colter

You might try to close the thread since you put it over there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom